Anybody for a South-West Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Hi Everyone,

I've scoured back through the first 6 pages or so, but couldn't see any rides organised in the SW, and aside from myself and Mr Trumpet, I don't even know if we've got any members around here? So I was wondering if there was anyone in the area that fancied a bit of a ride at some point?

I'm slowly making my way towards joining the local club, but they're quite racing-oriented and so I'm in a fairly constant state of "I'll just build up my fitness a bit more"... I can manage 50-60 miles relatively easily, but I'd quite like to arrange some company in a more informal environment. So, anybody fancy it?

Cheers,
James

Forgive my intrusion James, but you may just have scared any potential customers by saying 50 - 60 miles is relatively easy. You see what happens is that certain people on here get a reputation for being fast, whether they are or not and that frightens the pants off anyone else who may want to come on a forum ride, or any other ride. It seems to matter not that you have no intention of ambling around slowly because the seed of doubt has been sown.
C'mon you lot in the SW give the man some support!
In return for this I expect to see you on my ride in November
Cuppa.gif

Davidc

Guru
We've had a few in the past, usually around 40 miles and not very fast, but noone's organised one lately. Whereabouts in Devon are you? It's a big place!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Another Devonian here, think SandwichMonster isn't too far from myself and Chuffy as we seem to enjoy some of the same hills...

There seem to be quite a few Somerset forumites around and quite a few scattered across Devon so a Somerset borders ride might be good.

We're generally up for sociable group rides and have organised one in the past (with a strong focus on cake), but have been stupidly busy of late. Will keep an eye on this thread for suggested dates etc.

OP
OP
TheSandwichMonster

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Cheers for all of the replies...

To start, I'm in South Devon on the Teign Valley, not far from Exeter. As far as I'm concerned, then I'm more than happy to travel a short way to get to wherever I need to be. Regarding the previous comments, then ~40 miles, not very fast and CAKE are all things that I can associate more-than adequately with :smile:

So where is everybody else? I'm a relative newb' on here (as well as on a bike), but I'm more than happy to arrange a "local" ride if people would fancy doing something around here. Conversely, I'm more than happy to hop on a train and head a bit further up if some of the Somerset crowd fancy showing us around their part of the world

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Borderlands coffee shops that I know and love...

Strand Stores, Culmstock
The Something-Or-Other* Bakery, Bampton
Boston Tea Party, Honiton
Escot Country Park

*obviously not its real name :blush:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Devon CTC has a fairly full runs list . The local clubs all have regular rides. I run a few events from East Devon.

I live in Chudleigh, there are a couple of options for you, Teign Valley Pedal Bashers HERE. Plenty of info on the website, and bang in your area. Alternatively the local big club is the MDCC HERE. I am a member there. You may think it is race oriented club, but there are so many members that there is always plenty going on of all types. The Sunday club runs have 3 groups for different speeds, if you feel a good pace is what you require the medium group is pretty good, always includes a cafe stop. The slower group is a good place to start to see how you get on. Distance in the summmer, anything up to 70miles, but people peel off at different points to get back for their own agendas.
The next local Audax is the Dartmoor Devil, HERE if you have done any Dartmoor riding this year then that would be a good challenge.

OP
OP
TheSandwichMonster

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Excellent, sounds like we have plenty of folks and plenty of interest!

Am a wee bit busy here at work at the moment, so let me get through today (and then kidlet's birthday party tomorrow) and then I'll sit down and see what I can plan around getting a few of us together for a potter about.

Tincaman - Thanks for your response. MDCC are my local club, and I've just been trying to build up my fitness/nerve to getting along one Sunday. Everything I've heard says that they're perfectly welcoming - I actually bump into one of the guys from over there on my commute semi-regularly and we always have a good chat - I just need to man up and get myself along!

Thanks again all,

James

Top Bottom