Anybody for a South-West Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Hello Toshiba Boy :hello:. That was about 2 years back I think.

I still haven't found a local club round here that does regular social rides so definitely up for any forum ones - only trouble at present being that I'm working most weekends, so would need a fair bit of notice.

An opportunity to revisit seeing Baggy trying to disect wasps with a blunt table knife would be most welcome!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hi Ian .. i just looked at the website for Wednesday Night Pub Runs .. looks like a nice evening out and i'l try to make a few of the dates

Thanks .. Simon

Be nice to see you. Either make your own way over or call/email (see website) beforehand to meet.

I'l keep an eye on the website and will try to make the 2nd or 9th November to Aylesbeare or Tipton .. im not a quick rider so rather than slow down a group i'l ride from Dunkeswell and meet at the pub

Simon

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'l keep an eye on the website and will try to make the 2nd or 9th November to Aylesbeare or Tipton .. im not a quick rider so rather than slow down a group i'l ride from Dunkeswell and meet at the pub

Simon

Ask to be added to the mailing list - generally only one a week, a Monday evening reminder of destination (I don't send them).

newcs1

I'm in Axminster, relative newbie and not the fastest up hills but dead keen for meet ups and rides!!!

TSM, I'm in Watchet (work in Taunton). Have met Davidc before on a Taunton based ride (Hi David :hello: ).

Would also be interested in meeting up.

Hi Toshiba Boy and Davidc
wave.gif

OMG has it really been 2 years since the Taunton ride :eek:

TSM, if you ever fancy riding round the Somerset Levels give me a shout

Regards Iain

david1701

depends how you define south west, up for anything I can ride to the start of from north cornwall :tongue:

Hi Davidc and Iain837 :hello: , hope you guys both ok?

We do seem to be getting a few more SW CCers on here now, may be time for another ride (yes, it was some 2 years ago :ohmy: ).

Could look at one out my way (Watchet, but it is very lumpy whichever way you head (except due North, then you just get very wet ;) ).

Davidc

Guru
If we can sort one out I'll try to book a Sunday off for it (assuming it's a Sunday). Might be difficult before Christmas though.

I'm lacking ride fitness at the moment, working is getting in the way of riding. (Grumble, grumble, grumble).

If we wanted to ride from Watchet we could go Watchet - Elworthy - Bishops Lydeard (almost) then along the minor roads following close to the railway back to Watchet. Alternatively start at B Lydeard because for those using cars it avoids the drive along the A358, for those using the train B Lydeard is an easy ride from Taunton, and most importantly it makes life easy for me.

I've done that ride quite a few times and like it, but it might be a bit lumpy for some going over the Brendons. It's roughly 30 miles, about 45 if you add a return trip from Taunton.

I've never plotted where I've been on map my ride though.

depends how you define south west, up for anything I can ride to the start of from north cornwall :tongue:

Isn't that somewhere on the way to Canada? :biggrin:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If we can sort one out I'll try to book a Sunday off for it (assuming it's a Sunday). Might be difficult before Christmas though.

I'm lacking ride fitness at the moment, working is getting in the way of riding. (Grumble, grumble, grumble).

If we wanted to ride from Watchet we could go Watchet - Elworthy - Bishops Lydeard (almost) then along the minor roads following close to the railway back to Watchet. Alternatively start at B Lydeard because for those using cars it avoids the drive along the A358, for those using the train B Lydeard is an easy ride from Taunton, and most importantly it makes life easy for me.

I've done that ride quite a few times and like it, but it might be a bit lumpy for some going over the Brendons. It's roughly 30 miles, about 45 if you add a return trip from Taunton.

I've never plotted where I've been on map my ride though.

Isn't that somewhere on the way to Canada? :biggrin:

Starting at Taunton / Bishops Lydeard works for me, mainly because the only way I'd have to get out to Watchet would be to cycle... :rolleyes: :laugh: :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
I've put the route I took in June (as far as I can remember) on mapmyride Link for you to have a look

It's definitely not level or on the levels, but if I could do it so can most people. The 4 steepest climbs are category 5, the lowest rated difficulty so not too serious.

Most of the roads are good, but some of the ones between Combe Florey and Stogumber might be a bit rough for really skinny tyres.

Although the A358 and A39 crossings need care there aren't any unusually hazardous roads on this route.

Apologies to David1701 that it doesn't quite get to Bude!

Top Bottom