Anybody for a South-West Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Hi Toshiba Boy and Davidc
wave.gif

OMG has it really been 2 years since the Taunton ride :eek:

TSM, if you ever fancy riding round the Somerset Levels give me a shout

Regards Iain

Blimey Iain the way this lot are going it ll be another 2 years till the next one :biggrin:

vorsprung

Veteran
Borderlands coffee shops that I know and love...

Strand Stores, Culmstock
The Something-Or-Other* Bakery, Bampton
Boston Tea Party, Honiton
Escot Country Park

*obviously not its real name :blush:

Strand Stores, expensive but does some good stuff
the bakery in Bampton, as above but cheap
Boston Tea Party, moderate to poor and also expensive :smile:
Escot, usually good but often rammed with families of screaming kids

You must live near me jo

I've put the route I took in June (as far as I can remember) on mapmyride Link for you to have a look

It's definitely not level or on the levels, but if I could do it so can most people. The 4 steepest climbs are category 5, the lowest rated difficulty so not too serious.

Most of the roads are good, but some of the ones between Combe Florey and Stogumber might be a bit rough for really skinny tyres.

Although the A358 and A39 crossings need care there aren't any unusually hazardous roads on this route.

Apologies to David1701 that it doesn't quite get to Bude!

Hi Davidc, hope you're well mate (Hi Iain too!).

I used to live in Stogumber prior to Watchet (although just about to move out to Blue Anchor, intend to stay there for a few years!). Thinks the roads should be ok for skinnies, just have to ease up a bit on the more "rustic" lanes. Nice and "lumpy" too!

If we can't do before Christmas, would be definitely up for one in New Year. Let me know some dates.

Davidc

Guru
Given enough notice I can still do Sundays, but don't have any free before January now.

I'd quite fancy a sociable ride early in the new year if we can fix a date. Some might prefer a flatter route than that one though, as it does have some more significant climbs than past efforts. The ride up from Watchet to the top of the Brendons is the longest. Anyone have any alternative suggestions or preferences?

My biggest problem at the moment is not getting enough time for riding, so am losing ride fitness but I'm sure I can still do that route OK.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Don't forget Wednesday Pubruns. I'm off shortly. Jack-in-the-Green, Rockbeare tonight.

Mozzy

Did a forty today all round SW area; Taunton, Langport, Othery, Burrowbridge, Bridgie and so on. Saw seven proper cyclists; I waved at you all but not one of you miseries waved back. Twas much more sociable when I had a Harley :bicycle:

I'd actually like a bit of company in and out; stop for eggs, beanz, bacon etc, two mugs of tea; a wee here and there, some chat some banter; thing is I don't ride a road bike but have got my average up to 14.3mph now, so can motor along quite well ... but prob not well enough for you monster riders. And .... I doubt you want to be seen dead with a plonka pushin 60 on straight bars.xx(

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Did a forty today all round SW area; Taunton, Langport, Othery, Burrowbridge, Bridgie and so on. Saw seven proper cyclists; I waved at you all but not one of you miseries waved back. Twas much more sociable when I had a Harley :bicycle:

I'd actually like a bit of company in and out; stop for eggs, beanz, bacon etc, two mugs of tea; a wee here and there, some chat some banter; thing is I don't ride a road bike but have got my average up to 14.3mph now, so can motor along quite well ... but prob not well enough for you monster riders. And .... I doubt you want to be seen dead with a plonka pushin 60 on straight bars.xx(
I was in Wiveliscombe or I would have waved! :hello:

Not been on a forum ride before but there's absolutely no way I'm a "monster rider". That'll be me, at the back!

Top Bottom