Anybody had a broken collar bone that wouldn't knit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I broke mine almost 9 weeks ago. It seems to have been on track for healing although I've managed to convince myself that I could feel the outboard part moving separately from the collar bone and hence I reckoned it wasn't knitting properly. Saw the consultant a couple of weeks ago and mentioned my concern and in typical orthopaedic consultant fashion he was quite bullish about it: "Look, raising your shoulder is raising the collar bone, which is pushing my hand upwards. Stop worrying about it, lots of collar bones don't knit completely, I have a cycling friend who has a pseudo joint and he cycles miles. It's still better than the risks of surgery and the discomfort of a plate!"

I started physio a few weeks ago and actually after Monday morning's torture session trying to increase the range of movement of the frozen shoulder I felt absolutely fantastic. So that evening I jumped on my new turbo trainer and did 26 minutes on Swift, stopping when it began to feel uncomfortable and the sweat was unbearable. As soon as I stopped I realised I had overdone it; the point of the break felt painful and the healing proces seemed to have gone back weeks, and now I'm even more convinced I can feel movement in the area of the break. I stopped the exercises for 36 hours but even today I'm feeling discomfort and pain in the area of the break.

Now I know almost nothing about the anatomy of the shoulder so I'm perfectly prepared to accept that I may have just upset the AC joint where the collar bone attaches to the shoulder, generally upset everything and made the shoulder sore. Since the collar bone is now about an inch shorter thanks to the overlapping repair, I may just be feeling movement in the AC joint. But does anybody on here have experience of a non-knitting collar bone and how does your experience match mine? What did it feel like? Could you feel movement or any pain or sensation of grating?

I'm seeing the physio again on Friday but last time I said I thought the joint wasn't healing he was non-committal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've had a non-union fracture in my collarbone for years, it's a pain.

vickster

Legendary Member
If concerned, get a second opinion privately from the best shoulder surgeon locally

A friend broke hers a few years ago, non union but gets no pain Cycling or otherwise. She saw a surgeon privately who said very much the same as above

I’d give it 6 months and then see how it is

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I broke mine as a kid while going for the tree climbing altitude record. I don't really remember it, so presume it healed quickly and cleanly. Now I'm only months away from being 50 I find I don't heal anywhere near as well as even a decade ago.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's what I've already done and shall be doing in 2 weeks. His argument is perfectly well reasoned but it doesn't stop me wishing I could have it plated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's Zwift - told you twice now ! :tongue::whistle::biggrin:

I'd trust the surgeon and give it time before opting for surgery - wouldn't let them near my spine - chose to let it heal as best it could without lots of scaffolding - I'm still in pain, but we know it's not the metalwork, so it's carry on sir ! Just manage the pain.

si_c

Guru
I smashed my collarbone into three pieces about 4 years ago, had it surgically repaired, and I can honestly say it was an easy recovery. The plate isn't noticeable, and the scar looks cool.

There is some loss of sensation in the skin around the incision which I was warned might happen, but I don't ever notice it unless I'm looking.

The consultants would rather leave it to heal naturally if possible due to the risks of surgery. I'd ask them to do a CT to get a proper look at how it's healing, and then revisit the idea of surgery.

Don't feel timid about advocating for the best outcome for yourself.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I smashed my collarbone into three pieces about 4 years ago, had it surgically repaired, and I can honestly say it was an easy recovery. The plate isn't noticeable, and the scar looks cool.

There is some loss of sensation in the skin around the incision which I was warned might happen, but I don't ever notice it unless I'm looking.

The consultants would rather leave it to heal naturally if possible due to the risks of surgery. I'd ask them to do a CT to get a proper look at how it's healing, and then revisit the idea of surgery.

Don't feel timid about advocating for the best outcome for yourself.
However in my case the Surgeon didn't want to plate my break as he told me "You're still going to be riding a bike aren't you, if you come off on that shoulder again you'll be in a right mess if it's plated"

si_c

Guru
However in my case the Surgeon didn't want to plate my break as he told me "You're still going to be riding a bike aren't you, if you come off on that shoulder again you'll be in a right mess if it's plated"

In my case the consultant didn't seem bothered by that at all. It's possibly a risk, but we should get the opportunity to decide on what's the best option for us.

si_c

Guru
It may depend on whereabouts it's broken, I snapped the end off mine (3rd time I've broken that one)
Possibly. Surgery was the only option for me as part of the bone was pushing up through the skin. The surgeon did say that they could remove the plate later if needed.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well that's not good. Had a sudden episode of severe pain today so went to Urgent Care. X ray reveals no sign of any union of the bones. So at least I know I was right when I thought I could feel movement at the break.

Can you also spot the broken rib?

Now what?

20181102_165455.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well that's not good. Had a sudden episode of severe pain today so went to Urgent Care. X ray reveals no sign of any union of the bones. So at least I know I was right when I thought I could feel movement at the break.

Can you also spot the broken rib?

Now what?

View attachment 436731
Get a second opinion from a shoulder expert surgeon :okay: Do you have private insurance to speed the process?

Top Bottom