Anybody watch top gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So where was the trigger warning? I Came of my bicycle on Wednesday, and had to look away when he crashed

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We all have to remember top gear has become a light entertainment program,loosely based around motoring,to say some of its set up is putting it mildley, but the show seems to be as popular as ever,and the demographic watching must be the widest of any program on tv.its far removed from the sterile but rather more factual days of the programming in the 1980's.

Like my dear departed Mum said "standards are sliding young man.....".

Being a bit (!!) of a Land Rover anorak (a 'Bronze Green' one), I'm looking forward to the trailed episode, where they're going to try to replicate the TV advert of the 1980's, when they winched the 90 up the side of the Dam in Wales

However... 'TG' are going to use a Series 1, by the look of it^_^

it looks like, from the 'TG' website, that Land Rover themselves have provided the Series 1 (from the duo known as the 'DEL boys), restored by that stickler for accuracy Ken Wheelwright, & bought from him by LR

The accompanying date, on the clip, is wrong

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I didn't pay too much attention (ie didn't wind it back to check) but if he fell left as he appeared to how did he damage his hanger? As they said if he had finished 20 minutes quicker than the rest it would have been fairly dull, looks like they needed to invent a delay.
Good point. The fall was to the left. The camera position for the fall was to the left of the front wheel where it hadn't been before*. And then, to capture the fall, yet another fixed bike camera position would have had to be used. Hamster handicap, more like. He can't win it twice on the trot now, can he?

EDIT correction: * There actually is a camera mounted to the left of the front fork. So I was wrong there.

Last edited:
Good point. The fall was to the left. The camera position for the fall was to the left of the front wheel where it hadn't been before. And then, to capture the fall, yet another fixed bike camera position would have had to be used. Hamster handicap, more like. He can't win it twice on the trot now, can he?
Two possibilities. When he gets to the grass, he drops it on the drive train; maybe that's when it breaks. Also, Maybe the mechanics didn't do a good job of attaching the mech hanger when putting the back together after the flight and it just fell apart on impact

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Two possibilities. When he gets to the grass, he drops it on the drive train; maybe that's when it breaks. Also, Maybe the mechanics didn't do a good job of attaching the mech hanger when putting the back together after the flight and it just fell apart on impact
I just checked: the dérailleur is already detached from the moment it comes into view in that shot as he carries the bike over to the verge. So dropping it on the drive side didn't affect it.

Look, no mech....
ham.png

Last edited:
I just checked: the dérailleur is already detached from the moment it comes into view in that shot as he carries the bike over to the verge. So dropping it on the drive side didn't affect it.
The second one is still an option though. I was once changing attire a tyre on an inverted road bike in the long grass. It fell on its left side, Very gently but the obviously already loose mech hanger fell off

Edit: fixed some of the more egregious typos

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The second one is still an option though. I was once changing attire on an inverted road bike in the long grass. It fell on its left side, Very gently that the obviously already loose mech hanger fell off
True enough. Fakery is still the most likely, IMO.

I had to reread ''changing attire on an inverted road bike'':laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
[QUOTE 3498005, member: 9609"]then there was the very on-topic (for edinburgh cyclists) of the dangers of tram lines.
.[/QUOTE]

Or Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Blackpool etc

Loved the dam-climb last night, I'd guess that the brains behind the donkey-engine came from a marine engineering background?? (same idea as a ships compass being mounted in those bezels?)

It wasn't the 'DEL boy' Series 1 that was used though

One thing that did bug me, is that given Hammond is a (certified) Landie nut, he didn't (or wasn't scripted to??) refer to the vehicle he was driving as a Series 1

For heavens sake, it's not a Defender, that name wasn't adopted till 1993

Top Bottom