Anybody watch top gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The S1 Landy was in absolutely concours condition so I wondered how they got the winch and the gen set bolted in without drilling through the bodywork - winch would be easy as you'd just need to unbolt the original bumper but not sure about that swinging genset.

Hammond said the winching would get harder as the Landy reached the top because of the "weight of the cable" but what he should have said was that as more cable is rolled onto the drum, the effective diameter and therefore the gearing begins to change quite a lot, meaning the winch has to work harder.

The S1 Landy was in absolutely concours condition so I wondered how they got the winch and the gen set bolted in without drilling through the bodywork - winch would be easy as you'd just need to unbolt the original bumper but not sure about that swinging genset.

Hammond said the winching would get harder as the Landy reached the top because of the "weight of the cable" but what he should have said was that as more cable is rolled onto the drum, the effective diameter and therefore the gearing begins to change quite a lot, meaning the winch has to work harder.

Different vehicle for the winching (YFO 914), & correct, the gearing gets higher as more layers of cable are added

'437 DEL' was restored by the 'bees knees' of LR restorers; Ken Wheelwright, who had about 8 Series 1s in factory fresh state, PLUS, he restored a Leyland transporter of the type used by the factory in the early '50s to transport them around
6544942607_49ee65c04b_z.jpg

'DEL' is owned by Land Rover themselves now, as part of their very own heritage/press fleet

Attachments

• 6544942607_49ee65c04b_z.jpg
    6544942607_49ee65c04b_z.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 29

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd love to see a re-run of the test where they pitted a S1 with those narrow tyres in deep mud against a fancy Range Rover with big fat useless street tyres.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I cant think of a good reason to drive an old landrover on the road other than one field to the next.

my dads safari was quite possibly the worst thing ever for travaling to london or Burnley in as kids in winter.
100 -160 miles of freezing cold vibration..but it was great for fishing and towing big 2ton compresers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with the heater: I dismantled the heater on my 1986 ex-RAF 90, got the matrix rebuilt by a radiator reconditioner, replaced the foam seals and rebuilt it, adjusting all the cables correctly and it worked brilliantly - you could get the cab toasty even in cold weather. They just need a bit of TLC.

I believe that the problem is that the modern Tdis and Td5s are such efficient engines that they give out very little waste heat - my Passat takes bloomin' ages to warm up properly, you've got to give it some work to do.

I believe that the problem is that the modern Tdis and Td5s are such efficient engines that they give out very little waste heat - my Passat takes bloomin' ages to warm up properly, you've got to give it some work to do.
True, my last Landie ( a 1999 110Td5 'Heritage') took ages to give any heat out, & with such a big area to warm up, you'd invariably arrived before any meaningful heat was forthcoming
The previous 2 300Tdis (Discovery & 90) were better

Defender. S50 RAT. Green-Laning. Derbyshire. Shatton Lane. 3.JPG

Had a look at the B*W site, & the prices of the i8 are astonishing

screenman

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with the heater: I dismantled the heater on my 1986 ex-RAF 90, got the matrix rebuilt by a radiator reconditioner, replaced the foam seals and rebuilt it, adjusting all the cables correctly and it worked brilliantly - you could get the cab toasty even in cold weather. They just need a bit of TLC.

My Passat warms up real quick and gets very warm/hot in the cabin, the aircon is woeful though, despite being serviced. Only fault I can find with the car.

Wasn't there an option on the Freelander mk.1 TD4 for an auxiliary diesel heater for use in colder climates as the engine didn't generate sufficient excess heat to warm the cabin?

Wasn't there an option on the Freelander mk.1 TD4 for an auxiliary diesel heater for use in colder climates as the engine didn't generate sufficient excess heat to warm the cabin?
Yes,there was

Land Rover still offer auxiliary heaters, via their 'SVO' operations (Special Vehicle Orders)

That's the part of the company that deals with the proper stuff;
QuadTech bodies for 110/130
Fire Appliance conversions
'Cherry Pickers'
etc....

I have some brochures somewhere, & there's some very interesting equipment in them
Oh, & all of the 'Autobiography' Range Rovers all go through the same workshops too

Globalti

Legendary Member
Richard A Thackeray's Land Rover, out shopping yesterday:

Wmik3-04.jpg

Attachments

• Wmik3-04.jpg
    Wmik3-04.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom