Anyone cancelled due to Covid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Why can't you cancel online
My confirmation email says that my ticket type is flexi and therefore eligible to be cancelled. When I go into my account on the website, and try to cancel, it says this ticket type cannot be cancelled.
There is obviously an error somewhere that only a human being can sort out. The ferry itself is not cancelled but I guess if we rocked up, we would not be allowed on.
I‘ll just have to wait I suppose

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
My confirmation email says that my ticket type is flexi and therefore eligible to be cancelled. When I go into my account on the website, and try to cancel, it says this ticket type cannot be cancelled.
There is obviously an error somewhere that only a human being can sort out. The ferry itself is not cancelled but I guess if we rocked up, we would not be allowed on.
I‘ll just have to wait I suppose
Why would you not be allowed on if it’s running? Are Belgium’s borders still likely to be closed to non Belgians on that day?
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium/coronavirus
Maybe you just need to wait until the picture for that date is confirmed? Do you have travel insurance?

Julia9054

Guru
Why would you not be allowed on if it’s running? Are Belgium’s borders still likely to be closed to non Belgians on that day?
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium/coronavirus
Maybe you just need to wait until the picture for that date is confirmed? Do you have travel insurance?
Holiday does not constitute essential travel. Also I‘m sure that I wouldn’t be allowed to just cycle round Belgium and the Netherlands under current restrictions.
My ideal resolution would be a credit note so I can do the same trip May half term next year.
I do have travel insurance - I guess my next thing to do is ring them for advice.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Holiday does not constitute essential travel. Also I‘m sure that I wouldn’t be allowed to just cycle round Belgium and the Netherlands under current restrictions.
My ideal resolution would be a credit note so I can do the same trip May half term next year.
I do have travel insurance - I guess my next thing to do is ring them for advice.
Indeed not at the moment, but the situation may yet change. Who knows right now

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because of the different legal approaches where Benelux generally set short end dates unless extended and the UK has set 6 months unless shortened, in theory now you would be allowed to cycle around Belgium and the Netherlands after 3rd May, but it would not be legal to travel across the UK to the port!

I don't think there's much point you calling your travel insurer until either the agent refuses your refund or the ferry sails without you. I agree with @vickster - I think the best thing to do is to wait for Belgium's restrictions on tourism to be extended until after your travel date (thereby clearly enabling a travel insurance claim), and/or an answer from Direct Ferries.

We'd booked to go to Orkney in June, so both accommodation and ferries to and from the island have had to be cancelled.

The trip wasn't only a holiday but also a recce with a view to relocating up there, but we'll get there, just not as quickly as we'd hoped.

Accommodation had a non-refundable deposit, doesn't matter as we'll still stay there when we can go anyway.

Pentland Ferries were superbly quick in issuing a full refund, and again we'll book with them when we can.

Roll on the end of lockdown when we can hopefully get everything re-booked and start making plans again,

pawl

Legendary Member
Mine and Mrs P had are cottage holiday in the Cotswolds for the fourth of May Transferred to the same time next year.

Not able to get a refund as booked through an agencie. I personally will not be booking a holiday this year

Was going to Mexico in July for a friend’s 40th but have moved dates to back end of September, fee free. Even then I’m dubious as to whether we’ll go or not.......

anyone got their refund from Ryanair?
i got an email from them saying i could have a refund as the flight is cancelled. i applied for the refund and they sent me a link for a voucher :wacko::wacko::wacko:
now need to fight it out to get my entitled refund it seems:bravo:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
anyone got their refund from Ryanair?
i got an email from them saying i could have a refund as the flight is cancelled. i applied for the refund and they sent me a link for a voucher :wacko::wacko::wacko:
now need to fight it out to get my entitled refund it seems:bravo:
Seems a common complaint. Look at Twitter. Claim through your credit card, don’t accept the voucher. Don’t expect the refund quickly

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well Twitter did the trick...all money refunded by BA to credit card 👍 All Avios back in account too 👍
I was due to go away tomorrow :sad:

Julia9054

Guru
Direct Ferries finally got in touch and have issued me with a voucher valid until the end of June 2021.
Perfectly happy with that as I intend to do the same cycling trip May half term 2021.
Let's see what happens now regarding our planned middle aged inter-railing trip through Germany, Austria and Italy in August!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Let's see what happens now regarding our planned middle aged inter-railing trip through Germany, Austria and Italy in August!
Passes bought before the start of April can be delayed/exchanged for another date until the end of 2021 - https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/travel-disruptions/coronavirus-update?ghjk

ÖBB reservations are cancellable with refund, until you print them. After you print them, I forget the situation. DB seem to say they will exchange seat reservations for a voucher for the same value. I didn't get as far as booking anything in Italy before the event at the Italian end of my rail tour was postponed.

At the moment, the stinker for me is Eurostar, who seem not to be refunding any reservations with the outbound after 1 June - reservations that I can no longer use without the Interrail pass which is being postponed. https://www.eurostar.com/rw-en/travel-info/service-information/coronavirus-and-eurostar-service

Top Bottom