Anyone doing any diy this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixing the caravan's front garden fence this weekend - apparently...

My folks have said half is missing, like most other folks vans. We are opening it after the winter.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cutting the rebates for three hinges, and a mortice for a lock and striker plate. The whole door frame is wonky so it'll be a bit of a challenge.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
A few jobs this weekend. Removing radiators so my partner can paint the bathroom and kitchen. Then painting the rads. Then sawing up a tree she's had felled for firewood. New chainsaw arrives tomorrow.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Off to paint the flat in a mo, just needs a bit of a freshen up, it looks like we will have to replace the windows though!!! not easy in a 4th floor flat!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Off to paint the flat in a mo, just needs a bit of a freshen up, it looks like we will have to replace the windows though!!! not easy in a 4th floor flat!
Windows are usually fitted from the inside aren't they?

Work in progress on the old airing cupboard...

The door frame needs a bit of fettling, plus a couple of shelves, and a floor, bit of cabling & plumbing to box in, then the real challenge... the doors.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Fitted from the inside yes, these are UPVC and have external beads, they don't make them like that now, Joiner has managed to fit new hinges and locks, might get a few more years out of them now

gbb

Legendary Member
Not weekend work but in the kitchen today..
Removed 4sq mtrs wall tiles. This required the easing back of the existing worktops without breaking the seals on the sink plumbing. The plasterboard walls survived reasonably well.
7 wall cupboards, old doors removed, new doors fitted.
6 base units, doors and drawers ditto.
New handles fitted, lots of measuring, double checking, drilling and fitting.
Chased the cooker cable into the plasterboard while the tiles were off (it was previously fed through surface trunking)
New cooker switch / 13amp socket facial fitted.

Drove my 28 yo so into the ground :smile:, I was still working 3 hours after he fell asleep back at his.

Tomorrow...
Walls to tile.

After that...
New worktops, sink and associated plumbing.
Pelmets to be fitted top and bottom of existing wall units.(the base and wall units are 20 years old, could do with replacing but enough, I cant be bothered, they'll survive.
Kickboards all round.
New 13 amp socket facias to be fitted.

Might consider swapping some white appliances around, may be some plumbing to do.
I also suspect my wife may suggest (if she hasn't thought it already but isnt saying so) the dining room could do with painting, we both dont like the current colour even though it's quite fresh.

Plenty of painkillers taken, keep the aches at bay.
I wasnt looking forward to it, struggle for motivation but as usual, once i get going...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Utility room ripped out last weekend, replaced with new units, vinyl flooring and worktop. New up stand with a single layer of tiles along the top. Oh and all walls filled and painted. Project for this week is painting all my windows and soffits with rather spendy Demi Dekk paint :rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
Change to the plan today and it was a reminder of how tedious, stressful, annoying DIY can be.
Tiles are off so I thought I'd chase the cooker cable into the walls for a better finish than trunking.
Fcuk me, I broke one back box, cracked the replacement, struggled to the point of being very sweary to get the hugely inflexible cables connected in the back box despite several attempts using several different tactics, grunting and swearing, walking off for 10 minutes to calm down...took me 5 hours to sort that out and also chase in a 13 amp socket cable that was fitted via trunking too. 5 hours :sad: of misery

Fitted a couple of the worktops and got each of them slightly wrong, my head just wasnt in it, probably should have called it a day after the cabling fiasco.
All's well in the end, Chinese takeaway eaten, that's it for tonight.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had to get a handyman to replace the wooden soffits on the roof with plastic ones as they had rotted and were letting in the weather , no way am i going up a ladder and risking my neck !, im not keen on heights although i will do stuff like that if i have too .
I have been trying to build mini ck a playhouse out of an old shed but i had to admit its beyond me :sad:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Got a roofer coming Friday , spotted cracks in the lead of our flat roofed bay window. Water ingress coming into the house. In fact I think it’s been going on longer than the year we have been in this house ! Not good so needs sorted !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Got a roofer coming Friday , spotted cracks in the lead of our flat roofed bay window. Water ingress coming into the house. In fact I think it’s been going on longer than the year we have been in this house ! Not good so needs sorted !
i hear you we need a new roof as you can see sunlight in the loft and the birds get in and nest under the edge , trouble is im not going to the bank until i know how my job is going to be long term .

gbb

Legendary Member
5 days of kitchen refurb ... all done, just a bit more to silicone.
It only started as a new gloss white slab doors, drawer fronts and handles. Lots of careful measuring, you only have to drill one wrong and its had it.
The job progressed to..
Replace the cornice and pelmets with more modern ones. A good few accurate cuts and angles...pleased with how they turned out.
Replace kickboards.
4 squ mtrs of tile removal and new 300x100 grey tiles fitted brickwork style...add the usual boring grouting.
New socket facias fitted.
New cooker facial fitted, what a nightmare that was.
Cooker cable and a socket cabling cut into the walls, better than the trucking they were In.
Worktops, sink and tap replaced, no issues with the plumbing, all went well.

The amount of tools you need are ridiculous!!!! It probably took me an hour at least to put everything away.

All the old stuff has gone barring the sink which if no-one wants it will go to a local scrap collector. Worktops went the day they were advertised on FB, same for the cupboard doors. All that's gone in the bin are the tiles, pelmets and cornice .

I want it perfect as it reasonably can be but lack the real experience to do it perfectly which leads to some head scratching and swearing at times. All the same, very pleased with the finished look.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Finishing off the last of the front windows and then maybe start on the back. Upstairs main bathroom and en-suite commences two weeks Monday so need to measure for tiles. I’m not doing the refurbs on this got a plumber in for it, I just don’t have the time so leaving it to the professionals inc the tiling.

gbb

Legendary Member
Emergency DIY yesterday. In the midst of trying to buy a car, getting things arranged with family etc....the toilet cistern started leaking. Snapped ballcock arm was overfilling the tank.
Water off, carpet up, drain the tank, find a spare ballcock I had...take DIL to view car, go to bank , sorted all that then home to sort the cistern. Slight weep from an old compression fitting once I'd got it all back together but its settled. You realise it's less than ideal trying to re tighten 20 year old plus compression fittings, more time and I'd replace them.
No big damage, slight weeping through the ceiling into the downstairs loo, no big deal.
Once In a while you're thankfull for all that 'cr@p' (this time a ballcock) your wife thinks you keep in the cupboards / shed.

Top Bottom