Anyone doing any diy this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My nephew owns a building firm. Unless it's a very small job, or an emergency repair that needs doing right the hell now, then he does it for me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I haven't read this thread but thought I'd pass on a tip I discovered today. Gloss or emulsion paint spots can be hard to shift. I had spots of both on quarry tiles. I tried using Holt's tar remover - worked very well.

Mike_P

Guru
Sort of virtually finished off refurbing the kitchen - peel and stick tiles on the floor completed, half fake white timber rest where the appliances are huge fake stone. I had spent some time working out what to put on the floor and then realised everything moveable would need moving at once which would be a might difficult in a 2+2 house with no garage so back to peel and stick. Was hoping to discover a set of keys I lost last Thursday; I had used them to put a new bike wheel in the (non-bike) shed and then had fetching the washing in. At 1653 this afternoon I suddenly thought of the peg bag - keys found:smile:

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Couldn't wait for the weekend, I noted here in another post a week ago my c/h pump was getting a bit noisy, new pump sourced ready, but tonight the pump got really quite noisy. That's it, I'm going in :okay:
So it's often not as easy as it should be...this was no different. Changed the electrical connector, but the big nuts on the gate valves either side are siezed solid, my grips wont touch them. Call my son, gas engineer, request bigger grips, he turns up and yes the nuts are solid, no problem, I will cut them off he said. Up into the loft to put a bung in the cold water feed tank, he comes down and tells me, the root of your problem was the tank was empty so your pumps been struggling. Water tank ball valve freed up, I will have to watch that
So, junior hacksaw a slot in each nut the prise open with a screwdriver then they come off easy. Pump changed, connected, tested, all good.

Boiler is a Glow Worm, we estimate 23 years old, never (touch wood) remember having a single problem with it, just the usual 3 way valves and pumps.

gbb

Legendary Member
Off for a few days using up my holiday allotment but full of cold so no desire to do much (wife is at work) so today...
Strip out the bathroom, nets down and washed.
Vinegar solution all the tiles. Good clean round the skirting boards and various corners.
Cleaned around the window frames and realised how old and yellow the silicone sealant is. Pull it out (easy), clean, re-apply new silicone sealant. Looks much better
Descaled the shower head.
Mostly light cleaning with a shake of DIY.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Building workbenches into our new Shed....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Still converting loft into a gym, Got the first window fitted, That went well, just got to cut a few roof tiles to finish it of. Then another two to fit. about four weeks in another 4 to go.:okay: All Gym equipment scattered around the house. ^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As mentioned in the other weekend DIY thread... I'm converting the old airing cupboard into a broom cupboard.

I'll be making a couple of shaker style doors to fit in a gap 470mm wide. How wide should i make the doors? I'm thinking knock 5mm off to leave a 2.5mm gap on either side.

Is this a bit big or about right?

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
An older Joiner i worked with always carried an old penny (no idea of thickness), all doors were set to leave a gap for the penny around the sides and top, just don't forget to leave a trailing edge on the side opposite the hinge, (slightly smaller on the back edge)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
An older Joiner i worked with always carried an old penny (no idea of thickness), all doors were set to leave a gap for the penny around the sides and top, just don't forget to leave a trailing edge on the side opposite the hinge, (slightly smaller on the back edge)
Sounds about right.

The hinges got delivered today will will put a 2mm gap in the hinge side, so it's gap width minus 4mm :smile:

Top Bottom