Anyone eat Phall curry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I’ve found the more chilli you eat, the higher your individual tolerance. I only eat Phall if available and it’s a nonsense to suggest that chilli overpowers all other flavours. A well prepared Phall is complex in flavour as well as being ‘extremely hot’. We (as a family- including 13 year old children) eat Phall strength curries regularly and suffer no ill effects at all - not even the morning after.

PK99

Legendary Member
I’ve found the more chilli you eat, the higher your individual tolerance. I only eat Phall if available and it’s a nonsense to suggest that chilli overpowers all other flavours. A well prepared Phall is complex in flavour as well as being ‘extremely hot’. We (as a family- including 13 year old children) eat Phall strength curries regularly and suffer no ill effects at all - not even the morning after.

I agree. A few years ago out of a sense of beer-induced bravado and reminiscence over Vindaloos past, a mate and I shared a Phall at Ahmed's in Wimbledon.

In addition to hot, it was rich, complex and flavourful - the closest to an old-style Vindaloo before they became just more and more chili for the post-pub drunks.

Norry1

Legendary Member
1970's Home of the hottest biryani!

View attachment 664132

There is a blast from the past. I used to go there regularly when I was at Salford Uni.

As I recall, you didn't have many meals to choose from - it went

mild
medium
hot
extra hot
killer
suicide
Charlie's Special

Charlie's Special was a bright orange/red and destroyed all known germs :laugh::hungry:

Solocle

Über Member
There is a blast from the past. I used to go there regularly when I was at Salford Uni.

As I recall, you didn't have many meals to choose from - it went

mild
medium
hot
extra hot
killer
suicide
Charlie's Special

Charlie's Special was a bright orange/red and destroyed all known germs :laugh::hungry:

Reminds me of the spice packets at a market in Loughborough. There were some Phaal++ curries... the hottest was called something like The Widower, or was it the widowmaker? Either way, you had to sign a disclaimer for that one...

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have eaten Phall a few times but my go-to used to be vindaloo - then became Garlic Chilli Chicken.

One problem was that the strength used to vary massively between different restaurants which made the choice difficult at new places.

I don't agree that high "chilli" heat necessarily removes flavour although it can do when people just chuck a load of chilli powder at it.

Adam4868

Guru
I have eaten Phall a few times but my go-to used to be vindaloo - then became Garlic Chilli Chicken.

One problem was that the strength used to vary massively between different restaurants which made the choice difficult at new places.

I don't agree that high "chilli" heat necessarily removes flavour although it can do when people just chuck a load of chilli powder at it.
If it's not a restaurant I know I never order Vindaloo.It ends up being just a regular curry with a load of chilli thrown in.In my local I often order a Jalfeizi and they'll make it as hot as Vindaloo using fresh chilli's.its amazing how currys differ from restaurant to restaurant.I ate at the curry mile in Manchester a few weeks ago and thought it was crap.Better to stick to what you know.
Which in my case is not much 😁

Solocle

Über Member

I feel like just throwing chilli powder at it is sacrilege.

When cooking hot food I'll typically taste the peppers I'm putting in, to get a handle on what I'm dealing with. Even with the Ghost Peppers and Reapers! Just a small sample, like so:
1665662535224.png

And you can also mix in different varieties for their unique flavours. The chicken chernobyl recipe also uses Jalepenos - and sometimes I'll add Habaneros as well. If you were just going for heat, you'd stick with the superhots, but by mixing, you get even more flavour.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just popped out to the greenhouse and its harvest time. Just 3 varieties, with Hungarian hotwax being my choice, whilst dearest wife wants the Scotch Bonnets (yikes).

I dread to imagine the top end of the scoville scale.
20221013_131417.jpg

20221013_131340.jpg

Solocle

Über Member
Just popped out to the greenhouse and its harvest time. Just 3 varieties, with Hungarian hotwax being my choice, whilst dearest wife wants the Scotch Bonnets (yikes).

I dread to imagine the top end of the scoville scale.
View attachment 664406

View attachment 664407

Looking good...

For me this year's plants started with the Orange Habaneros. I've brought a plant inside and am finally getting some decent yields!
E6564FB7-2EBC-466D-BA75-D17101856BDE.jpeg

76551B15-375C-4316-A253-EBB128BE4C7F.jpeg

I planted some ghost chillis at the same time, but nothing this season. They did grow fantastic root systems, though, so hopefully will survive overwintering.

The one yielding Carolina Reaper plant has given me a couple of fruit so far.
DF74D32B-5D2E-4D40-9601-35C89355071E.jpeg

He's now indoors, and is promising great things. Just needs to ripen up a bit!
8FF17705-32E2-47C2-B942-F124B3BAAA95.jpeg

6DD110B6-DDA6-48C8-B504-9716C74735B6.jpeg

If it's not a restaurant I know I never order Vindaloo.It ends up being just a regular curry with a load of chilli thrown in.In my local I often order a Jalfeizi and they'll make it as hot as Vindaloo using fresh chilli's.its amazing how currys differ from restaurant to restaurant.I ate at the curry mile in Manchester a few weeks ago and thought it was crap.Better to stick to what you know.
Which in my case is not much 😁

I have also had some suspect vindaloos on the curry mile. Best Manchester curry in last few years has been the duck chilli garlic at Rajdoot on Albert Sq, Serious heat but amazing flavour.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have also had some suspect vindaloos on the curry mile. Best Manchester curry in last few years has been the duck chilli garlic at Rajdoot on Albert Sq, Serious heat but amazing flavour.

That sounds awesome - never had duck curry.

For a long time I was a King Prawn Vindaloo man.

I'd study the menu for ages, then order exactly the same each time...
Popadoms, king prawn vindaloo, Bhindi bhaji and garlic rice :laugh:

Top Bottom