Anyone eat Phall curry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Best curries I ever had was on my final ship in the merchant navy, 1980/81. British officers, Indian crew, so both were catered for by the Indian catering staff.
I had curry at least once every day for 6½ months (there were always other options if you wanted, but I could never resist the smell of a good curry). It's something I never tire of, and still eat it probably more often than is good for me.
The Indian crew IIRC used to eat some form of fish curry for breakfast. And the curries they ate for other meals, which I tried a few times, were totally different to the toned down "european" palate curries that we were served.
Happy days, but when I got home after my 6½ month trip, I was diagnosed with mild colitis!

figbat

Slippery scientist
The best Indian food I ever had was in the middle of nowhere in the Gujarati countryside, two hours' drive from Ahmedabad across a featureless dust plain. I was visiting a farming community regarding their tractors and I happened to be there around lunchtime. They had a 'kitchen' set up serving food for the farm workers - nothing fancy, just nutritious food served out of large pots onto pressed steel trays. I have no idea what it was but it was divine. As stated a few times above, food in India doesn't follow our "BIR" templates, not only in terms of names or recipes but also in terms of process. There's no poppadums, followed by a main with rice and bread and a side of potatoes. It is disconcerting at first, as there's little to identify what you might be about to eat, but if you just go with it you'll find yourself wishing that BIR might be more authentic. And I never suffered a single digestive issue when in India.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The nicest/most memorable curry I have had was some years ago on the Rusholme curry mile. They called it Kerahi but there seem to be variations to the spelling. I could get the full variety of flavours as I ate it.
Tried a few since but none have been anywhere near as nice as that one.

A short while later the manager was in prison for kidnapping his daughter to prevent her marrying a guy in the "wrong" religion:wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had a nice curry last night - Bangladeshi in my local village. Wasn't a hot one, but my stomach has been on fire all night. My mouth can take them, my stomach can't.:laugh: Not risked the loo yet ! :ohmy:

Adam4868

Guru
I’m afraid experience says you are wrong, no matter what you’ve read on the internet. It overwhelms the tastebuds and signifantly dulls the taste of all the other ingredients
I'm not sure about this,doesn't affect my taste at all.Its just I can eat a lot spicier food than someone else doesn't mean I can't taste it.I can understand someone with a lower tolerance and how it could spoil there food?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I once got roped in to make up a team of four who were going to do "Trailwalker" to raise funds for the Gurkha Welfare Trust which had been chosen as the corporate charity of the year at a place were a friend worked. There were quite a few teams as it was a big multinational, and in recognition the teams got invited to a pre event training walk with the Gurkhas followed by a meal at a local Gurkha restaurant. I was sitting at the table with the regimental C.O. and the Gurkha Sergeant who had been organising the mornings training event. After the meal a bowl of chillies was brought to our table, the sergeant picked one up and ate it, as did the C.O. I asked if I could try one and they advised against it as they were extremely fiery, I think the idea was that the Gurkhas at the table had to choose and eat one, without showing any sign of physical distress.
When the actual event took place our team arrived at the finish at Brighton race course in the early hours of the morning and were treated to a Gurkha curry from a field kitchen that had been set up for the occasion. It tasted amazing but wasn't at all fiery, just "Hot"

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not rocket science; if my mouth feels painfully on fire, I'm hardly going to appreciate the choice of garlic bulb or the particular proportions of cumin & dhana. Plus those fiery dishes often taste overly sour to me, almost metallic.

Clearly some of you perceive chillies and flavours in a more benign manner, but we're not all the same.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm not sure about this,doesn't affect my taste at all.Its just I can eat a lot spicier food than someone else doesn't mean I can't taste it.I can understand someone with a lower tolerance and how it could spoil there food?

The only analogy I can think of is like having your leg massaged whilst someone smashes a lump hammer into your shin. The pain takes precedence over pleasure but both are felt simultaneously and at the same intensity as they would be individually.

Adam4868

Guru
The only analogy I can think of is like having your leg massaged whilst someone smashes a lump hammer into your shin. The pain takes precedence over pleasure but both are felt simultaneously and at the same intensity as they would be individually.
Thanks I think I'd rather eat a bowl of chilli's though ! Obviously I wouldn't eat something if it made me so uncomfortable,but as I say I'm pretty partial to very spicy food.My partner makes a gorgeous salad with celery, tomato's,capers,olive oil and the hottest birds eye chilli's.Leave to marinade overnight and it's fiery ! It's what you get used to and what you enjoy.The heat doesn't alter my taste,but without the chilli's for me it wouldn't be as nice.

Solocle

Über Member
Let's not forget that the chillies also add flavour to the dish, as well as heat. Different chillies add a different flavour-to-heat ratio.

Indeed.
In fact, from experience, I find that Carolina Reapers have an really unusual and pleasant flavour. Sort of fruity, but with depth to it. Ghost peppers are quite different, a much more nutty flavour.

Both of which you can appreciate for a couple of seconds before the freight train of heat hits you, if you're eating the bits of the peppers on their own.

Got a homemade on the go, not Phall strength, but 3 big dried chillies and a fresh one, so should have a kick. Quite a few black cardomons and black mustard seeds as a try out ... will know in 30 minutes!

Top Bottom