Anyone eat Phall curry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think he meant a lot of Indian restaurants in the UK are actually Bangladeshis.

Many Bangladeshis runs Indian restaurants that serve traditional typical North Indian dishes such as butter chicken, aloo gobi etc and not the actual Bangladeshi Muslim dishes. Hence they are call it Indian Restaurant or Indian Cuisine but not Bangladeshi restaurant or Bangladeshi cuisine. They recognised the demand and popularity of North Indian dishes And went for the established market.

Here is an interesting trivia @ Bangladeshis are muslims and consume beef at home but they do not serve it in their North Indian restaurants as the cuisine is Hindu As people including British locals will find something amiss. So you can imagine why UK Indian dishes vary so much in taste to actual Indian food unless the restauranteur is hindu and a North Indian And hence serving his heritage.

As a habit, I always check who the owner's actual heritage before I bring anyone to a new Indian restaurants. Cant go wrong it if its a Patel, Mehta or Gupta.

It's what Brick Lane is famous for - aside from their brilliant fabric shops and the Jewish bagel bakeries... :smile:

Been to Brick Lane many times for all other things but not for the food as I have been to India many times - North, South, East and West. Nearly everyone of the Bricklane lot have been awarded some accolades such as ”voted best curry house”, “best chef“ etc and you can trace it Tower Hamlet. Its the wrong place to bring a visitor to taste genuine Indian cuisine. Hence you will not see Indian diners in these restaurants.

Been to Brick Lane many times for all other things but not for the food as I have been to India many times - North, South, East and West. Nearly everyone of the Bricklane lot have been awarded some accolades such as ”voted best curry house”, “best chef“ etc and you can trace it Tower Hamlet. Its the wrong place to bring a visitor to taste genuine Indian cuisine. Hence you will not see Indian diners in these restaurants.

I only go there for the fabrics... :blush:

And Stamford Hill for the Jewish stuff when it tickles my fancy.

A lot of Thai food and curries are made with fresh chillies and herbs where as Indian food uses a lot of dry spices and curry powder.Thai in general I'd say has more of a kick chilli wise than indian !

I did note that spicy and chilli hot is interchangeably used. Chilli is definitely a kick while spices can be pungent, your tongue and rear end wont get a burning session.

Curry powder is interesting as it is crushing and milling of a variety of spices such as cloves, cinnamon, fenugreek, cumin etc but also includes sometimes dry chillies, especially in the South. This is where the magic takes place - the formulae varies for families, dishes and communities.

I am sure you would have spotted or smelled the shops that do the blending and milling on your travels.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
While on holiday in Sri Lanka, we had lunch in a small cafe at the Colombo World Trade Center.
I had a curry of some sort.
OMFG :eek::excl::evil::cry:
I have never, ever eaten anything as hot. I genuinely thought my teeth would dissolve.
I think it wasn't so much a tourist cafe, as the unofficial works canteen. And Sri Lankans appear to like it hot.
I have never before wanted to divorce my own alimentary canal...

Oh, and just to prove it wasn't a one-off, I did something very similar in Goa.
I'm amazed I've survived this long.

Handy recipe here, using, gulp, ghost chillies.
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/phaal-curry/

Jody

Stubborn git
Of course it’s affected by the chillies else no point adding them!

Not sure I'm explaining this very well. Your taste buds and the way the sense flavour aren't affected by the chilli. It's a separate receptor and the sensations go together. The flavour in your food is registered and has the same intensity regardless of how much capsaicin is added.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRPV

See section for families and number 1 is for capsaicin.

Jameshow

Veteran
Daughter made a kicking lamb curry tonight...

Had me downing a pint of milk before I had eaten the small portion she gave me.

Enough sauce to make a curry another day!🤣🤣🤣

mikeIow

Guru

Was there last week with a pal…..we might have had a curry if every single restaurant didn’t have someone pestering us about how theirs was the finest on Brick Lane 🙄
Walked further up and bought some amazing beigels (bagels) from a 24hr shop for taking home, then repaired to the Pride of Spitalfield for a nice pint!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not sure I'm explaining this very well. Your taste buds and the way the sense flavour aren't affected by the chilli. It's a separate receptor and the sensations go together. The flavour in your food is registered and has the same intensity regardless of how much capsaicin is added.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRPV

See section for families and number 1 is for capsaicin.

I’m afraid experience says you are wrong, no matter what you’ve read on the internet. It overwhelms the tastebuds and signifantly dulls the taste of all the other ingredients

Solocle

Über Member
I'm wincing just reading that! A definate bog-roll-in-the-freezer dish if ever there was one.

Eh, that's maybe not too bad. 3 ghost peppers in 4 servings.

When at my parents', both me and my dad like hot food. One we've done a few times lately is "Chicken Chernobyl".

The business end is a dried ghost pepper, and a dried Carolina Reaper. Which should be similar to three ghosts.

It's very hot, but it's not mind meltingly so.

The recipe is from here - https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/1_Million_Plus/J6L9sgEACAAJ?hl=en

Top Bottom