Anyone eat Phall curry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had the remainder of last nights curry for lunch, but cut the cooked whole chillies up for extra 'oomph' .... they always taste great the day after.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Now you are talking. They were real curries. We used to buy them in the early 70s......I wonder if they have changed much?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I actually quite liked them. Mum and I used to eat them much to dad's disgust. He called them scented muck! :laugh:

Your Dad was a man of taste then.
TBF if you just want a quick meal to fill a hole then they are fine.
Still going so lots of people must like them.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Nope, Phaal from a local takeaway!

I have said that a mate of mine will only eat extra hot Phaal.
In a restaurant (years ago) I put the tip of my knife in it and tasted it:eek:....it nearly blew my head off.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have said that a mate of mine will only eat extra hot Phaal.
In a restaurant (years ago) I put the tip of my knife in it and tasted it:eek:....it nearly blew my head off.

The Madras that I picked up by mistake from the Co-op was ok. I played safe with the first one and didn't use all the sauce but used nearly all of it on the second one. I quite enjoyed it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My introduction to curry was when I accompanied a work colleague to an Indian restaurant in Birmingham. He advised me to try the mildest dish on the menu which I did. When it arrived it tasted so hot I thought that I’d been “ stitched up “ and challenged him about it. He tasted my dish and said no, thats mild. He then suggested I try a taste of his dish. I couldn’t believe how anyone could actually eat something so hot ( it was probably Madras ) Of course it was the first of very many visits to various Indian restaurants over the years. My favourite curry is now a Veg Pathia.

Solocle

Über Member
My introduction to curry was when I accompanied a work colleague to an Indian restaurant in Birmingham. He advised me to try the mildest dish on the menu which I did. When it arrived it tasted so hot I thought that I’d been “ stitched up “ and challenged him about it. He tasted my dish and said no, thats mild. He then suggested I try a taste of his dish. I couldn’t believe how anyone could actually eat something so hot ( it was probably Madras ) Of course it was the first of very many visits to various Indian restaurants over the years. My favourite curry is now a Veg Pathia.

My introduction was IIRC a Madras at India Cottage Henstridge, aged about 9.

It didn't take too long to graduate to the Vindaloos...

Also around that era there was a bottle of this in the house, at one point it got mixed with cream cheese in a sandwich. :laugh:
1665746348185.png

PK99

Legendary Member
Dave's Insanity ... I had a bottle once. I used to put it on bird food to keep the squirrels off.

that prompted a google search.

Chilli is an RSPB-approved method of deterring squirrels - birds have no receptors for capsaicin but squirrels do!

Top Bottom