Anyone Else Struggling To Get Out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Since the 23rd December I've been travelling to various places including a three day visit to family in Cornwall so that stopped the riding. Now getting ready for a return to China on the 2nd January so will hopefully start the 2015 rides soon after getting there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Ice yeah, why risk it, but rain, your waterproof mate !

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
When I was recovering from my broken hip, I decided I wouldn't ride in icy conditions any more.
The turbo will keep me fit until the good weather comes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Get well wrapped up and use ice tyres and jobs a good 'un.
............and hope the car slithering towards you has them too! :tongue:

I passed two places this morning where vehicles had gone straight off the road in the ice over the last couple of days. One took a wall of a bridge out and the other had ploughed into a road sign at a junction. If you had been tootling along there on your ice tyres all smug, it wouldn't have been much fun getting in their way.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I know there'll be plenty of people who go out in any conditions, but there must be plenty like me who are not good enough for that. Xmas was coming and I was going to be having a couple of weeks off, so thought I would get at least a hundred miles in. I'm now on day 9 and still not able to get out. Freezing conditions, local roads iced over, freezing fog, sub zero winds ...... Got up this morning expecting milder conditions because the BBC forecasted it, but yet again it's a white out and bitterly cold, and I'm out walking the dog early doors so know just how bad it is. The forecast is for rain for the next few days from tomorrow, so looks like I may not get one ride in. If I struggle keeping my feet on the pavement, I imagine struggling with my razor blade size tyres on the untreated roads.

Dunno where you are in Cheshire but I was out around Macc/Alderley Edge/Poynton yesterday for 3 hours and it was great. Roads were no problem and it was fine with suitable clothing
MTFU

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
............and hope the car slithering towards you has them too! :tongue:

I passed two places this morning where vehicles had gone straight off the road in the ice over the last couple of days. One took a wall of a bridge out and the other had ploughed into a road sign at a junction. If you had been tootling along there on your ice tyres all smug, it wouldn't have been much fun getting in their way.

I was following car tracks this morning when I noticed the ones I was in went straight off the road.

Luckily on the back roads you don't see much traffic around here

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
Really want to get out but the weather just hasn't been right recently. Had to resort to fettling the bike in the garage in the meantime! Either too cold (I love the cold, but there's ice :sad:) or too windy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you read sheldon's advice on knee pain? Ride fixed, seems the opposite of common sense but he makes a good argument. There are research papers emerging that support his theory as well.
not read
The knee issues aren't solely on the bike

Sharky

Guru
Not been affected much by bad weather so far down in kent, although have not been commuting much over Xmas. But this is due more to late nights and lack of sleep.

A few years ago, when we did get heavy snow, it didn't stop us meeting for our regular Sunday club run

image.jpg

But must admit, this was as far as we went and we rode straight back home without doing a "run"!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I fell off twice in three minutes on black ice last year, once each side, so I'm not inclined to go out much. All the fattening Christmas nibbles and almost zero exercise mean my belt is feelig distinctly tight.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
No ice here now, but I'm struggling for motivation. In fact I've been struggling since I got back on the bike in October after my injury. Commuting is ok, and I've done a couple rides, but far less than normal. :sad:

Freds Dad

Veteran
Dunno where you are in Cheshire but I was out around Macc/Alderley Edge/Poynton yesterday for 3 hours and it was great. Roads were no problem and it was fine with suitable clothing
MTFU

Did you stick to the main roads as I'm looking to go out possibly tomorrow depending on the hangover or Friday ending on the weather. I usually go around Gawsworth, Lower Withington, Goostrey area but there are lots of country lanes that probably don't see a gritter.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We are now off out. The side roads are icy as anything but the main roads (bus routes) are quite fine. Lots of cyclists, mostly students riding around and don't look bruised or damaged. Thought we would go down the Marriotts as it's nice and rutted, muddy even. More grip.
I may be some time. Wish me luck.

There is a possibility that I will be back in 5 minutes saying 'bugger that for a game of soldiers' Oooh tea has arrived.

Top Bottom