Anyone Else Struggling To Get Out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
At what point does wind get too strong?

When it is quicker to get off your bike and walk

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
another ice & lurgy xx( reduced mileage month, already declared my mileage for the year as this mornings ice white out :cold: made the :bicycle: to much of a potential :banghead:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Did you stick to the main roads as I'm looking to go out possibly tomorrow depending on the hangover or Friday ending on the weather. I usually go around Gawsworth, Lower Withington, Goostrey area but there are lots of country lanes that probably don't see a gritter.

Here's where I went.
http://www.strava.com/activities/234510056
I went out 1100 - 1430 as this gave plenty of time for any morning ice to melt. Even here in Glossop (600ft above sea level) it is above freezing today and the roads are OK. I'd be very surprised if any Cheshire roads were icy around midday, early morning may be a different matter

BrynCP

Über Member
After my fall in black ice a few weeks ago I have struggled to get out, as the ice bothers me!

I've also got a problem with gear cables that the LBS are fixing Friday, so I am on my hybrid or without half my gears. My last normal ride was Christmas Day, Boxing Day I managed 30 miles but with constant gear troubles.

However, I am going to venture out on my hybrid now for an 18 mile route, as I feel incredibly lazy!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Caught a cold at the end of October, another one in November then flu just before Christmas so hardly touched a bike for a couple of months. Decided I needed a challenge to motivate me so went for the Festive 500. Did 50k on Christmas Eve and felt like death warmed up. Forced myself out on Christmas Day and did 75k at less than 20kph. I was exhausted when I got home and realised that I was probably making myself ill again. Hardly been out of the house since.
Got to look on the bright side though; it's better to be ill when the weather is horrible.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Black ice all over the place when I was out last Sunday.

Three of the group fell.

I didn't, but nearly fell off standing still when my foot and bike slipped as I came to a stop.

Plan to be out tomorrow, it's been a few degrees above freezing for the last few days so there shouldn't be any ice.

sackville d

Veteran
I`ve done alright considering the weather.My rides almost invariably end up on top of a hill at some point and at times it`s been a bit touch and go with sheet ice on 17% gradients forcing me to get off and walk down 400m until tarmac appeared from under ice once again.

I recon that if the weather had been just drab and dismal I wouldn`t have been nearly so inclined to get out there. Conditions on the tops have been a bit bleak at times but then cloud will clear and the whole place is transformed.Moorland,snow and sunshine.Phew.It`s been some of the most rewarding riding of the year actually.
Hope everyone gets their mojo back soon:bicycle:

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Here's where I went.
http://www.strava.com/activities/234510056
I went out 1100 - 1430 as this gave plenty of time for any morning ice to melt. Even here in Glossop (600ft above sea level) it is above freezing today and the roads are OK. I'd be very surprised if any Cheshire roads were icy around midday, early morning may be a different matter

I have just got back in from walking the dog, and can assure you that the lanes around here are still frosty, and icy. The main roads road have been clear all day as they've been gritted but you wouldn't want to venture onto these roads around here as they are pot-holed, busy main trunk routes when every hour of every day is like the M6. Cheshire lanes are great but every one down here is slick and slidy. My face is red raw from walking the dog and the poor girl likes submarining in every puddle, but all she's done for the last few days is slide her nose on the ice., she also likes jumping int the local ponds but after sliding all the way across it yesterday she's a bit wary now.

New Years Day tomoz and we'll try again, after all I have a new saddle from the wife to critique and been looking forward to it.

Top Bottom