Anyone Else Struggling To Get Out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
I know there'll be plenty of people who go out in any conditions, but there must be plenty like me who are not good enough for that. Xmas was coming and I was going to be having a couple of weeks off, so thought I would get at least a hundred miles in. I'm now on day 9 and still not able to get out. Freezing conditions, local roads iced over, freezing fog, sub zero winds ...... Got up this morning expecting milder conditions because the BBC forecasted it, but yet again it's a white out and bitterly cold, and I'm out walking the dog early doors so know just how bad it is. The forecast is for rain for the next few days from tomorrow, so looks like I may not get one ride in. If I struggle keeping my feet on the pavement, I imagine struggling with my razor blade size tyres on the untreated roads.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I know there'll be plenty of people who go out in any conditions, but there must be plenty like me who are not good enough for that. Xmas was coming and I was going to be having a couple of weeks off, so thought I would get at least a hundred miles in. I'm now on day 9 and still not able to get out. Freezing conditions, local roads iced over, freezing fog, sub zero winds ...... Got up this morning expecting milder conditions because the BBC forecasted it, but yet again it's a white out and bitterly cold, and I'm out walking the dog early doors so know just how bad it is. The forecast is for rain for the next few days from tomorrow, so looks like I may not get one ride in. If I struggle keeping my feet on the pavement, I imagine struggling with my razor blade size tyres on the untreated roads.
I don't risk it anymore in slippy conditions either. Last two winters I came off on black ice, one on the road bike and once on the mountain bike with wide, nobbly tyres.....it makes no difference. Have you thought about trying running/jogging? I have been taking the dog and once I get to safe ground just gently jogging for a couple of miles. Keeps your fitness up reasonably well.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm struggling to get out but not because of the weather but because of family and work demands this time of the year. I'll be glad if I get a day to myself anytime between now and easter.

vickster

Legendary Member
I rode on Sunday but not since. The weather doesn't help, the pain in my knees even less!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I planned a ride this morning but had to cancel due to icy roads, will try again New years day, as long as i am not to hung over, the weather does look to be warming up for the weekend, i reached my target for the year, so am happy with what i have done this year, got to beat that target next year.:cheers:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Yes, me!
The whole of December I've ridden twice, and one of those was on Christmas Day.

I can cope with the cold and some drizzle, but I don't do the wind. I think it's because I struggle with my energy levels (having Fibromyalgia) so anything that adds to me expending more than I have in my small reserve, isn't a good thing!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not been out over the last couple of days as the temperature hasn't got above 2 degrees. Might try in an hour as the BBC says it's 4 degrees. It's nice and sunny out but need to finish this rather lovely cuppa and give the dogs a quickie around the block as they have all only just emerged from their baskets.

Will definitely ride tomorrow. 1st Jan and all that. I do every year and it's getting to be a thing now.

Peteaud

Veteran
Would love to go out but not in these conditions. A friend of a friend rode last year in the ice, result, punctured lung.

Spent some time this morning fixing the very slow puncture i had and tweaking the brakes, so its all set for when the weather improves.

I ride to keep fit, not to injure myself.

byegad

Legendary Member
I haven't been over the doorstep since Xmas day, and then only to my Sister-in-Laws for lunch. I went down with an evil bug on the 23rd and have been laid up with shortness of breath, as the bug affected my Asthma, no voice, a fever and feeling generally bad.

Top Bottom