anyone had exerience with an osteopath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillelive

just had my first session with an osteopath....had my back, kneck and just about every other body part cracked.....my prob is knee/tibia and fib related and have tried everything to sort my problem, osteo is a last resort

just thought I would ask what experiences people have had, good or bad

cheers

Are they state registered health care professional?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
There's a guy around here who I'm sure is some kind of supernatural being. Put my back RIGHT out last year putting up a shelf (as you do). GF took me to see him and after 15 mins I felt better than I had before the accident! Not only that but he charged me £30 and told me he didn't want to see me again until the next time.. None of this series of 4 appointments all for £40-£50 that I've had before.

Amazing guy.

Orange

I was sceptical before I was referred to one by my GP, after hurting my back and hardly being able to move - but I felt immediately better after the first session and was completely cured at the second. A definite convert.

OP
OP
gillelive

gillelive

First session went well, back next week for follow up......strange hearing and feeling your body crack......just hope it works as physio didn't seem to be working.....wife brought a coast 2 coast leaflet home from work and am tempted but not sure if I will be fixed, back in the saddle and fit enough to complete the ride....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Alternative treatment - go for it.

I've had less invasive physio that kept me on the bike, but the current deep manual stuff I have at present is great. I also have had a couple of acupuncture sessions... that's very informative if the person is Chinese/oriental trained (there is a huge difference - and I've been told from a medical point of view - my physio is trained but not in Chinese techniques - she lets the other person do the acupuncture).

Give it a go.

Be prepared for 'back lash' - that's all I can say - happened twice now - cold sweats really not feeling well - the physio had me sick, the acupuncture just stopped it.... I went back. There is some really good advice given, even if they think you cycle too much. Energy is a KEY to the treatment. I'm Mr don't do humbo jumbo, but it works. Can't explain it - just try.

Albert

Über Member
I have extensive experience of Osteopaths. If - repeat if - you get a good one, they can get you feeling great very quickly. If you don't - the majority - you will get fleeced over a period of time. They are earning a living and it is in their financial interests to have you come back again and again, therefore creating a dependency is good business.
NHS physio or sports science are, in my experience, a better bet.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My sister is one, and she has treated me several times (usually one off sessions due to the gaps between when I see her) and I've usually seen good results even though it is usually a grabbed 10 minutes on an unsuitable surface (in comparison to her normal working environment when it is set up properly). I'm contemplating paying to see one locally but I know I'm due to see her in a couple of weeks so I will probably get her to look at my latest ache. She usually gives me good telephone advice too whenever I injure myself.

Yes I went to see an osteopath due to having very numb fingers a lot, he sorted it out in one session and I rarely suffer from it now. It is important though to try and do any follow up exercises they give you to try to prevent reoccurrence of the condition.

OP
OP
gillelive

gillelive

Thanks for replies. First session went well but a bit of time taken up discussing my history and other treatment I have had. Looking forward to Friday now and hopefully an improvement.....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was on a business trip to South Africa and I had chronic back pain from lifting a bag of coal badly a month before. Went to see an osteopath and she cracked me and prodded me in ways I never thought possible but I walked out absolutely free of pain, what a relief it was.

Towards the end of the session she did offer me "the needles" but I declined the offer, saying that if there was an improvement I wouldn't want to attribute it to the needles when it may have been simply down to her good anatomy. I was glad I did decline it.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
no experience of oesteopath....but plenty with chiropractors due to the crap sedentary job i now do.....i now use a McTimani (spelling, sounds like shampoo doesn't it) chiro which works better for me than a normal chiro as it leaves me feeling less like i have been run over by a truck! I see my chiro when i feel the need to be straightened up or if my back goes altogther.....usually due to moving awkwardly.....sneezing.....bending down to pull my jeans on.....all are times when my back has seized........Any professional in this business should ask you for a history before starting any treatment.....and the good ones will advise if they can help you from the start

ATB

Linford

A very good friend of mine is an Osteopath. I swear by the work which a good one can do. Unlike a State paid Physio, they only get paid by results, and if you don't get these, they don't get referrals, or continuity of income by you not coming back because they don't get results.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A few years ago I had tremendous back pain for weeks. GP could only offer pain relief. I was very sceptical about going to an Osteopath but had to try something.

She fixed it in 10 minutes and said I would probably require no more treatment. which was right.

I payed £25 the result was priceless.

Top Bottom