Anyone know this idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
He failed to clip in and then made a split second decision to try and outrun the HGV, instead of braking. He messed up. I'm sorry, but i can't summon up any animus for this chap, I'm just happy he survived the incident.
As am I. But his misjudgement is far worse than that of the driver. I suspect both are fuelled by a near-lethal mix of adrenaline and testosterone.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But we do have to rely on others though...
Nope. We can expect. But we cannot rely. We must observe and adjust.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Nope. We can expect. But we cannot rely. We must observe and adjust.

I understand the need to believe that we are not, to a greater or lesser extent, reliant on others to keep us safe, but that is the reality.

I am not "expecting" someone to avoid ploughing into me on a NSL rural road, I am "relying" on them not to hit me from behind. If I only had an expectation that they would miss me, I'd not cycle.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I understand the need to believe that we are not, to a greater or lesser extent, reliant on others to keep us safe, but that is the reality.

I am not "expecting" someone to avoid ploughing into me on a NSL rural road, I am "relying" on them not to hit me from behind. If I only had an expectation that they would miss me, I'd not cycle.
People are unreliable. That is also the reality.

Origamist

Legendary Member
People are unreliable. That is also the reality.

Of course, as 1000s of KSIs on the UK roads will testify to annually.

There's only so much you can do to keep yourself safe and you will make mistakes. You also have to rely on others, but they will fail you from time to time. Roads are shared spaces and as such you are not the sole master of your own safety - it's a matrix.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The cyclist in the video didn't do much to keep himself self, indeed nothing, waiting behind the truck would have done that

betty swollocks

large member
No-one comes out of this well, do they?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I wonder if he's realised that yet. He certainly hadn't by the end of the clip!

I think his reluctance to exchange details at the end is telling. If I had nearly been killed and I was certain it was the HGV driver's fault, I would have taken his details and reported it. The fact that he did not makes me think the adrenaline was wearing off and he was cognisant of his own poor road craft as he left the scene.

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru
I think we have established that he made a near fatal miscalculation.
Yup, I think everyone is agreed the cyclist did wrong. What there is less agreement on is what he should have done:
(A) it was perfectly ok to go down the left filter lane and to try to outrun the lorry, but when he realised he wasn't going to safely outrun the lorry he should have held back and tucked in behind
(B) he should have gone down the left filter lane, but when he saw that it was a lorry at the front he should have reinserted himself in lane 2 behind the lorry and waited there
(C) he should have stayed in lane 2 throughout and never entered the left filter lane if he wasn't turning left

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yup, I think everyone is agreed the cyclist did wrong. What there is less agreement on is what he should have done:
(A) it was perfectly ok to go down the left filter lane and to try to outrun the lorry, but when he realised he wasn't going to safely outrun the lorry he should have held back and tucked in behind
(B) he should have gone down the left filter lane, but when he saw that it was a lorry at the front he should have reinserted himself in lane 2 behind the lorry and waited there
(C) he should have stayed in lane 2 throughout and never entered the left filter lane if he wasn't turning left

If he didn't know that road, it would be understandable that he travelled down the left lane to the front and would assess how to proceed once he saw the narrowing layout ahead.

But I'm going to assume that he commutes that way daily and knows exactly what the road layout is like, in which case he should have tucked in behind the lorry (and taken the benefit of it).

Mistake made...fair enough.

What irritates me, painting us all in a bad light, is this "got you on camera...putting in a complaint" self righteous bull.

Nobody has made a big deal about it except the cyclists in the wrong, and now it's going to be wheeled out as a big stick to beat us with whenever we complain about cycle lane abuse etc.

Oh, but I forgot, everyone parks on pavements and cycle paths so we should just accept it. According to logic of these nitwits.

I sometimes find myself in the wrong lane on unfamiliar rides. When I do so my action to get back into the correct lane/position isn't, and never will be, race a lorry and try and squeeze in front of them at the last second. It would be to filter back in safely ceding priority to the traffic in the lane I wish to enter.

Top Bottom