Anyone know this idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Isn't there a bit in the highway code that goes something like: don't drive massive lorries into cyclists no matter how cross you are or how badly you think they've farked up?

Edit: So there is, rule 147.
what video are you watching ? the lorry driver didn't drive into cyclists - he kept straight , on the other hand the cyclist rode into a hgv ! an idiotic move that could have ended a lot worse
if you think that this is safe cycling then i wish you luck

winjim

Smash the cistern
what video are you watching ? the lorry driver didn't drive into cyclists - he kept straight , on the other hand the cyclist rode into a hgv ! an idiotic move that could have ended a lot worse
if you think that this is safe cycling then i wish you luck
I didn't say he did. I didn't say it was. But holding your line and flooring it when there are vulnerable road users around you is not following the highway code.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I didn't say he did. I didn't say it was. But holding your line and flooring it when there are vulnerable road users around you is not following the highway code.
you baffle me ! who floored it ? the lorry driver pulled away safely - a few bikes sailed passed him - it should have been obvious to all on the road what the driver intended to do - and did - if you think it is safe to try to undercut a lorry in the blindspot while in the wrong lane while even those behind you are holding back and surely thinking this is gonna end bad , then i am sorry i can't help

keithmac

Guru
I honestly can't get my head around anyone arguing for the cyclists in this instance, the lorry was in his lane and never deviated from it, the cyclists tried to undertake the lorry and hoped for the best.

Absolute stupidity on their part and nothing less.

I see people filtering down the side of moving HGV'S on my commute and it beggars belief, never mind try to undertake them from a set of traffic lights..

People need to take responsibility for their own actions, if the unfortunate had happend it would have been soley due to the choice of the rider in that case imho.

winjim

Smash the cistern
you baffle me ! who floored it ? the lorry driver pulled away safely - a few bikes sailed passed him - it should have been obvious to all on the road what the driver intended to do - and did - if you think it is safe to try to undercut a lorry in the blindspot while in the wrong lane while even those behind you are holding back and surely thinking this is gonna end bad , then i am sorry i can't help
I don't think that and I am not asking for your help.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I honestly can't get my head around anyone arguing for the cyclists in this instance, the lorry was in his lane and never deviated from it, the cyclists tried to undertake the lorry and hoped for the best.
Who's arguing for the cyclists? I see criticism of the lorry driver but that's not the same thing at all.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Absolute stupidity on their part and nothing less.

I see people filtering down the side of moving HGV'S on my commute and it beggars belief, never mind try to undertake them from a set of traffic lights..

People need to take responsibility for their own actions, if the unfortunate had happend it would have been soley due to the choice of the rider in that case imho.

I don't think people here are condoning the choices of the cyclists. What is being suggested is that the driver could have handled the situation differently.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The thing i enjoy least about cycling in London is peer pressure from other cyclists.

I am naturally a fairly cautious rider and I often choose to wait in my place in a line of traffic rather than filter. Do that in London and you'll have swarms of other cyclists under and overtaking you. Stop in line with a gap that you've decided is too narrow or too risky and other cyclists will weave past you, quite probably displaying irritation at you being in their way.

I find it adds up to being made to feel inadequate for sticking to my usual style, and considerable peer pressure to choose a higher risk profile. If I were a stronger person I expect I could resist it. In that instance, with all those other cyclists taking the left lane, I suspect I'd have bowed to pressure and done the same.
Feck em. Feck each and every one. Feck em all.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You hate this particular cyclist? Given that he was very close to being killed and was in shock, I can understand his immediate, post-incident rationale, even if I disagree with it.
Not his post incident rationale I hate, but his during incident knobjockery...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't think people here are condoning the choices of the cyclists. What is being suggested is that the driver could have handled the situation differently.
True. But we can't rely on others to do that. We can only control our own actions.

hatler

Guru
The thing i enjoy least about cycling in London is peer pressure from other cyclists.

I am naturally a fairly cautious rider and I often choose to wait in my place in a line of traffic rather than filter. Do that in London and you'll have swarms of other cyclists under and overtaking you. Stop in line with a gap that you've decided is too narrow or too risky and other cyclists will weave past you, quite probably displaying irritation at you being in their way.

I find it adds up to being made to feel inadequate for sticking to my usual style, and considerable peer pressure to choose a higher risk profile.

^ ^ This ^ ^ That's my experience exactly, having just started on a central London commute.

I'm stubborn enough not to respond to the pressure. I am also very conscious that before too long I am going to get rear-ended at a red light by someone who doesn't think it worth stopping,

I don't usually get involved in things like this as there is someone always ready to shout louder than i am
i watched the clip a number of times and i am sorry but i cant see that the lorry driver done anything wrong - he followed the highway code - he kept to his line in the lane he started in . When has he got to stop letting bikes who are breaking the highway code go pass ? after the man in red ? after the one taking the video ? after the one behind them ? i aint gonna make no friends here i know by saying this but i am afraid it was a stupid move by all the bikes involved and to condone it is ridiculous
it happens all the time in london ! thats why bikers die

thats all i have to say thank you and good night

I don't think anyone is arguing that the cyclist was blameless are they?

Top Bottom