Anyone know this idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

davidphilips

Veteran
Because at the lights he knows the cyclists are there. When the lights change, he sees them flood around in front of him. It is reasonable for us to expect him to be cautious, knowing that things are not hunky dory.

When we're driving, or doing anything, we still have onus to be reasonably cautious regardless of how bad someone else behaves.

Think we will have to agree to disagree, i drove this type of vehicle for a few years and thb apart from getting out and shouting at the cyclists would perhaps have done the same as the driver and indeed as any other hgv driver would.

From the linked article:
"By the time you arrive at the junction, it is too late, and you, and several other people, are effectively trapped in an extremely dangerous position, with the best option probably being to bail out onto the pavement, or to jump the lights."

Nope, pull away safely and filter back into the correct lane, ceding priority, when safe to do so. The article makes out nobody is to blame and collisions like this are inevitable. No they are not. The article is nonsense.

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
[QUOTE 4869813, member: 45"]He's wasn't merging, he was already in that lane.[/QUOTE]

But in the video it shoes a car in the outer lane at the lights? watch as the camera guy is approaching.

swansonj

Guru
Yes, but when you saw the way things were unfolding and realised you weren't actually out accelerating (the presumably unladen) truck would you have ploughed on into danger regardless or done what the only other person in the clip that demonstrated any sense did and held back?
Agreed. If the first vehicle in the queue is an HGV I will wait behind it. If I can't outsprint the first vehicle by some margin I will hold back and slot in behind.

But quite a few posters here are saying the cyclists shouldn't have used the left lane at all simply because it is marked left turning. But waiting in your place in lane 2 has drawbacks too. You may loose, not just the "few seconds" some people have referred to, but two or three phases of the traffic lights if there's congestion -a couple of minutes. And, if you are several cars back when the lights change on a fast road, you are likely to be between cars that want to accelerate to 20-30 mph before clearing the junction, you will be holding them up, and that creates its own safety issue as they try to squeeze past you or fail to allow stopping room behind you.

Seems to me there is no ideal method of tackling these layouts.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
If anyone thinks the lorry driver saw the crazy cyclists then they should watch this video.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The article contains some nice thoughts but is unfortunately flawed and factually wrong.

"There isn’t even a mirror that would have revealed them indirectly."

Yes there is, two of them, one out front and one at the side. God knows what footage the writer was looking at?
And he then goes on to suggest the cyclists have no choice other than to endanger themselves in front of the lorry. Well yes they do, and as I keep pointing out, the lady in the white jacket makes the sensible choice and shows the other riders to be the imbeciles that they are!

PK99

Legendary Member
But quite a few posters here are saying the cyclists shouldn't have used the left lane at all simply because it is marked left turning. But waiting in your place in lane 2 has drawbacks too. You may loose, not just the "few seconds" some people have referred to, but two or three phases of the traffic lights if there's congestion -a couple of minutes. And, if you are several cars back when the lights change on a fast road, you are likely to be between cars that want to accelerate to 20-30 mph before clearing the junction, you will be holding them up, and that creates its own safety issue as they try to squeeze past you or fail to allow stopping room behind you.

Seems to me there is no ideal method of tackling these layouts.

The truly stupid thing the cyclists did was ride up the side of an Hgv, in a disappearing lane. Had it been a car, visibility would have been very different - I ride up a left turn lane when going straight on one of my regular routes, but do not go to the front if there a large vehicle there, instead I find a place in the line and slot in.

What should they have done?

1. Stop behind the HGV

or

2. having fecked up and ridden up the side, they should have let the HGV go and not had the "must get in front and save a few seconds" mentality so often criticised here when seen in motorists

To do what they did was stupid and indefensible.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I don't usually get involved in things like this as there is someone always ready to shout louder than i am
i watched the clip a number of times and i am sorry but i cant see that the lorry driver done anything wrong - he followed the highway code - he kept to his line in the lane he started in . When has he got to stop letting bikes who are breaking the highway code go pass ? after the man in red ? after the one taking the video ? after the one behind them ? i aint gonna make no friends here i know by saying this but i am afraid it was a stupid move by all the bikes involved and to condone it is ridiculous
it happens all the time in london ! thats why bikers die

thats all i have to say thank you and good night

winjim

Smash the cistern
Isn't there a bit in the highway code that goes something like: don't drive massive lorries into cyclists no matter how cross you are or how badly you think they've farked up?

Edit: So there is, rule 147.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The truck is 'unladen' or with a fairly light load (the lift axle was in the raised position, and DAF's auto-raise to save tyre and road wear). That said, anyone who thinks that if you stamp on the accelerator puts a truck in race mode, give it a try...
The truck driver was also having to be aware of the off-side of his vehicle to check for other road users, possibly cyclists, filtering into the single lane from that side as well.
There is also an island just ahead, creating a further pinch point.

Top Bottom