Anyone tried one of those adult scooters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
You know like the kids push along ones, that you stand on, but the adults versions that Decathlon sell.

I had a quick buzz around the shop on one last week and something about it really appeals to me :biggrin:
Anyone used one "in anger" as it were? I have a crazy notion about trying my commute on one, one day...

Link please :smile:

the original 'micro scooters' were intended for commuters to speed up getting to and from the station.

when I was about 8 I was bought a scooter, a proper one with proper wheels (micro scooters not being thought of yet) and pneumatic tyres

twas awesome

the scooter linked to, would handle very similar to the one in the back of my parent's garage.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A friend of mine used a micro-scooter to get to work at Gt Ormond St fro here home in Twickers. She had lights on it as well!
I've often used the kids Micro-scooters for blatting down the pub. Over the right terrain they're pretty useful.

11 years ago I bought an un-branded chromed steel frame, 16" wheel BMX scooter for £69.99 from Cycle King of Bury St Edmunds, front and rear brakes, gyro headstock, mini rear cargo rack. etc. I even put a pair of cheap crud catchers on it, and changed the tyres out for slicks. The kids and I used it to exercise our very powerful male siberian Husky; we never did manage to fully tire him out with it.

Alas, Blue; our Husky passed on six years ago, and the scooter has been retired to the back of the shed ever since.

Chickc78

I used to commute on an original Micro scooter - I lived in Milton Keynes at the time which had the perfect setup of pedestrian pathways. I carried my laptop in a rucksack and it was great - untill I hit a tiny patch of grass growing between smooth paving slabs, I went down hard and put a massive graze on my left cheek - didn't bother with it after that and switched back to cycling!

:wacko:

Amheirchion

I had a cheap micro-scooter I used for getting to and from the pub. :biggrin: Until I lent it to a friend to get home with one night and he lost it while hammered. :sad:

It was horrible for curbs though, I was going through a carpark late at night and saw a curb that dropped down, so I readied myself for a bit of a jump, and found myself face first on the tarmac.. It seemed the down curb was directly preceded by an up curb, as a mini divider in the car park.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I used to use the kids ones when they were younger and scooted to school and then I'd ride them home again ... fine on the flat and downhill but quite a bit of effort up hill. And I had to keep swapping legs as they got tired. Would definitely get you there faster than walking (as long as the path was relatively smooth) but slower than even a pootling cycle.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
At least one Scandinavian bloke did PBP on one in 2004.
Finished under 50 hours IIRC.
:ohmy: Wow!

I've used one with a teeny-tiny electric motor on the back. Fantastic in and of itself, but I didn't really know what it was for. It didn't have much range, didn't cope with kerbs or potholes, but you couldn't really use it on footpaths.

Bear in mind that Decathlon's own Vitamin bike is twenty quid less than the scooter!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've used the kids scooters when picking them up from school - one in hand and scooted down the hill with the other - far quicker than walking.

There is a continental version called a "KickBike" that combines bicycle and scooter:

kickbike.jpg

Top Bottom