Anyone tried this new puncture proof membrane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Might be, but I don't think it would help with "snake bite" punctures, where you just hit something in the road and the force pushes the inner against the rim and causes a couple of small holes.

And what happens when a sharp thorn penetrates the tyre? The membrane might stop it initially, but the thorn will still be present, but wrapped in a tight membrane and will probable just slow down the penetration of the inner and defer the puncture to a later ride.

And the only one review says it is difficult to fit!

Happy to be proven wrong - let me know if you try them.

Smudge

Veteran
I've never used tyre liners, i've always never trusted them not to damage the tube through abrasion.
These do look interesting though, especially as i'm currently running some oe tyres that i really like on a new bike i recently bought, but these tyres can apparently get punctures easier than the Schwalbe PP level tyres i usually buy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You can get the cheapo Chinese equivalent off eBay for a couple of quid. I've got a set fitted inside one of my ratty hack bike's tyres. I stuck mine inside the tyre with double-sided adhesive tape to stop them moving, and I rounded off the corners & edges where necessary to prevent abrasion. No visits from the Fairy yet.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Looks ok to me ,if you don't do slime or tubeless it's a good alternative.

As to fitting ,maybe a bit of a faff

Tenkaykev

Guru
Looks interesting. Couple it with the new Tubolito inner tubes, add some slime, fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and say goodbye to p*nctures! 😉

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Hmmmm, can't see it says how much they weigh, I might have considered them for the Apollo with my grandson's Tagalong, but I'm not using anything that'll add extra weight and slow me down.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Time to link to the Tannus Armour inserts.

They are soft and podgy, so are said to cure the problem of friction flats from stiff liners.

Because of the increased volume of the liner it is best fitted with a smaller cross section tube.

Not suitable for narrow roadie tyres because there's usually no smaller tube to drop down to.

https://tannus.co.uk/armour/

Tenkaykev

Guru
Time to link to the Tannus Armour inserts.

They are soft and podgy, so are said to cure the problem of friction flats from stiff liners.

Because of the increased volume of the liner it is best fitted with a smaller cross section tube.

Not suitable for narrow roadie tyres because there's usually no smaller tube to drop down to.

https://tannus.co.uk/armour/

Looks like a wrap round version of the puncture protection strip in Marathon Plus tyres.
It's a shame they don't do a 32" version as I could save money by cutting one in half and fitting them to my Brompton 😉

simon.r

Person
Looks interesting.

Years ago I’d treat anything like this with extreme cynicism, but ‘stuff‘ in general does seem to work more or less as advertised nowadays.

Top Bottom