Anyone up for a Blériot anniversary ride to Dover - 25th July?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeing as 2009 marks the centenary of Blériot's little hop across the Channel, those enterprising people in Dover are putting on a bash on 25th/26th July to celebrate. On the Saturday, there should be:-

A procession of different aircraft types flying from Calais to Dover including:
The arrival from Calais of Blériot XI model aeroplanes
A procession of microlights from Calais operating under the auspices of the Aero Club de France and the Royal Aero Club
An Air Race from Abbeville
A historic recreation of Blériot's flight across the English Channel with 3 Blériot aircraft
Participation by the Royal Air Force featuring a Typhoon, the Lancaster (PA474) from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Red Arrows

As Dover is only 75 miles from London, I'm just floating this idea up in the air to see if anyone would be interested in cycling down there, going at a fairly brisk pace, perhaps setting off from Cutty Sark Gardens no later than 8 am, or possibly somewhere a bit further out from London, aiming to get to Dover for 2 pm, enjoy the aerial festivities, have a wander around the sea front and then get the train back in the evening.

There may be some hills on the way. Goggles are optional.

Anyone interested?

Tynan

Veteran
yes in theory barring the family social calendar interfering

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
If i'm not working that w/e i'll be up for this, i'll confirm the 1st week of july.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep could be up for this too Ad.
You on your new Tit, me on my new Car.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am only 10 miles from Dover! I guess I could get the train up and meet you at an 11sies stop somewhere (if you take one) then ride home afterwards.

Top Bottom