Anyone want a pet seagull?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

Drago

Legendary Member
As with humans, there's doubtless a pecking order. You just need to find a bigger bird and slip them a few worms to beat up your annoying sea gull.

bigbird.jpg

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Anyone want a pet seagull? Herring Gull.

One has clearly nested on a nearby roof, possibly my neighbour. Last week I had 15 hours of squalking from the adult from dawn to dusk. The next day loads and loads of high pitched loud crying from a chick. It was also (I later discovered the source of the knocking coming from the roof area). I thought at first the neighbour was up to something but soon realised it was too regular. I went into the garden to look at the situation and on the top of a chimney pot standing guard was adult seagull. Next to my skylight which is above the stairs was chick 1, chick 2 was on a flat roof about three doors away. I got dive bombed by protective adult. The knocking turns out to be chick 1 doing the "rain dance" to bring up worms. As it is at the top of the stairs it can be heard in every room.

It is driving me farking nuts.......

I've been at sea this week and hope that when I get back things will have changed but i fear it will be a little longer before they can fly away.

The worst thing is that seagulls return to nest in the same place each year, this does not make me happy.
My friend has had a seagull divebombing him when he goes out of his house, as a chick has fallen out of the nest. He was chased all down the street by it. I think the RSPCA were called in the end.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anyone want a pet seagull? Herring Gull.

One has clearly nested on a nearby roof, possibly my neighbour. Last week I had 15 hours of squalking from the adult from dawn to dusk. The next day loads and loads of high pitched loud crying from a chick. It was also (I later discovered the source of the knocking coming from the roof area). I thought at first the neighbour was up to something but soon realised it was too regular. I went into the garden to look at the situation and on the top of a chimney pot standing guard was adult seagull. Next to my skylight which is above the stairs was chick 1, chick 2 was on a flat roof about three doors away. I got dive bombed by protective adult. The knocking turns out to be chick 1 doing the "rain dance" to bring up worms. As it is at the top of the stairs it can be heard in every room.

It is driving me farking nuts.......

I've been at sea this week and hope that when I get back things will have changed but i fear it will be a little longer before they can fly away.

The worst thing is that seagulls return to nest in the same place each year, this does not make me happy.
Could you persuade your neighbour to have a blazing fire in the room that serves the chimney on which the sentinel bird perches? Nothing special, just some coal and a few rolls of bitumen roofing felt, sheets of polystyrene etc.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4882826, member: 9609"]I think most people are surprised to learn that the Herring Gull that we see a lot of in seaside towns is in massive decline, so much so it is now very sadly a "Red Listed" species, RSPB Link. The thought is that the gross over fishing of our coastal waters is leaving them to struggle in their natural enviroment. It's a bit sad that they need to come onto our rubbish tips and bins to find the food that we throw away because we are too fat to eat any more.[/QUOTE]
Off Topic, but a bird being "Red Listed" means nothing to some. So long as it meets their needs.

Top Bottom