Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before the "buff" there was the "headover", a std piece of kit for soldiers still available from military supply/surplus shops. It is a long tube of thin fleece that can be word doubled over as a neck gaitor or pulled over the head as high as you like. It fits under a helmet.
I started wearing mine this week, it seals the collar well and is really cold. In freezing conditions I wear two, one as a neck warmer and the other as a hat. It is more versatile than a balaclava.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Been using one of those on cold days, without knowing what they were called!

Wore one for first time this autumn/winter earlier this week.

Very good IMHO.

Was given two by my brother, who is a "real" cyclist, (ie has a bicycle so expensive he has to lie to his wife about how much it cost) unlike me, who simply rides a bicycle for enjoyment.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
was cycling tonight and the chill really got my face/neck area finally.
Thinking about getting one of those neck warmers/buff's , has anyone wore one? How are they? are they actually useful or just a gimmick?
a cheap one can be had for like £2 , while a good merino is about £20 ( btw I really love my other merino stuff so wouldn't hestitate paying 10x more if I also get superior performance ).
Are the cheap ones decent/good for the odd time or ?
maybe a suggestion for something nice & Good quality?
Someone is knitting me a buff. It's free like even if it might not be the most fashionable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wore one round my neck this afternoon on a walk round Lancaster. Afterwards I nipped over to walk the promenade at Morecambe and there was a chilly wind blowing in from the bay so I pulled the buff up and used it as a balaclava. It kept my ears and face nice and cosy.

OP
OP
I

itaa

Very cool, Thanks guys :biggrin: Ordered some cheapo one to test it out, Than I realised I have a sewing machine and I can just buy some good merino/cashmere sweater from local thriftshops for a few coins and make my own merino buffs for nothing :biggrin:
1 XL sweater should be enough to make at least 3 or 4.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's not cold enough yet for me to wear them.

I have 2 original Buffs and an Aldi copy. The Aldi one is very long and when worn as a hat can ride down and rest on my eyelids if I'm not careful.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have an original Buff (or 2) a couple of Aldi/Lidl ones and a Trespass one. The Trespass is my go-to one. The Aldi/Lidl ones are my summer ones - I run them under a cold tap and wear them, they keep me cool for ages on the bike, in the really hot weather. They are essential cycling wear for me, or dog walking attire, kayaking attire..........
Brilliant things, not a gimmick, just get one.

Top Bottom