Apology Accepted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Team Fiwip said:
I'm hurt, that was a sincere apology ;)

So why Drama Queen quip at the end then?

It might be hard to back to the original point now but for me an Apology calms the situation. On the other hand you get the pr@ts that won't even acknowledge you are there; that really irks me. Thinking back on my past SMIDSY's I've probably had worse pull outs from folk who apologise than those that refuse to acknowledge me but I'm willing to let the former go, C'est la vie.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
It might be hard to back to the original point now but for me an Apology calms the situation. On the other hand you get the pr@ts that won't even acknowledge you are there; that really irks me. Thinking back on my past SMIDSY's I've probably had worse pull outs from folk who apologise than those that refuse to acknowledge me but I'm willing to let the former go, C'est la vie.

Indeed. The incident, (which wasn't major anyway) is diffused quickly and we all go on our way. It all comes back to respect and personal responsibility. Two things that are often lacking on the roads....

PK99

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Safety

I used to take the correct line at this roundabout. It caused me bother. Following cars cut over this almost every time and I had a couple of occasions where that almost brought me into conflict with the following car (despite me obviously taking that exit). I need to slow considerably to go around the roundabout. Not a problem. However, the following cars are generally impatient here and would try and would continue over, faster than me. This was even worse in the wet and ice. So I decided that, although it might not be to the letter of the law, it was generally safer for me.

So, you accept that in deliberately taking the wrong line across rather than round the roundabout you put yourself in conflict with a driver who was taking the correct legal line, and would reasonably have assumed that he would have time to enter the roundabout without coming into conflict with a cyclist following the legally correct line.

Your error not his.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

PK99 said:
So, you accept that in deliberately taking the wrong line across rather than round the roundabout you put yourself in conflict with a driver who was taking the correct legal line, and would reasonably have assumed that he would have time to enter the roundabout without coming into conflict with a cyclist following the legally correct line.

Your error not his.

It depends on what you determine as the wrong line. The wrong line for me is one that from experience brings me into serious conflict with other road users, through no fault of my own. This is the fault of the following drivers, but not one that I can mitigate effectively by falling the letter of the law. you could argue the real issue here is the road design.

If however, you believe in always without question, following the letter of the law, even where it brings you into serious conflict with other road users then yes, every time I take that roundabout I am making a mistake, and from that point of view I am happy to admit it. However, I'll take safety here, over law any day.

As for the driver, he did make a mistake, and my choice of road position has no bearing on this, in this instance. I approached and entered the roundabout before he did and he continued in front of me forcing me to brake (no matter what line I took). His mistake, and he was happy to admit it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I should add, that I wish I had footage of what happens when I go around the roundabout. Unfortunately the action was always behind me (rear right) and I never got usable footage.

I'm not keen to repeat it to get decent footage!

PK99

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
If however, you believe in always without question, following the letter of the law, even where it brings you into serious conflict with other road users then yes, every time I take that roundabout I am making a mistake, and from that point of view I am happy to admit it. However, I'll take safety here, over law any day.

in that case you would be well advised to modify your line whenever there is a car entering at the same time as you as this one was

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
I should add, that I wish I had footage of what happens when I go around the roundabout. Unfortunately the action was always behind me (rear right) and I never got usable footage.

I'm not keen to repeat it to get decent footage!
Ya big jessie!! :smile::biggrin:;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

PK99 said:
in that case you would be well advised to modify your line whenever there is a car entering at the same time as you as this one was

I didn't modify my line here, I modified my speed. As I said previously I had this one well covered. The only reason I roll in front of the car is that by that time I had come off the brakes. I had plenty of time to stop before the car crossed my path.

Top Bottom