Apology Accepted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
it has nothing to do with what others take and everything to do with my own safety.?

but you put yourself in danger from a motorist who did nothing wrong.

Whatever line you normally take for what ever reasons, the line you took in the video was plain stupid

OP
OP
M

magnatom

PK99 said:
but you put yourself in danger from a motorist who did nothing wrong.

Whatever line you normally take for what ever reasons, the line you took in the video was plain stupid

He did nothing wrong? He entered the roundabout when I was coming from his right.

I'll have to disagree with your feelings about the line though, from previous experience. Unfortunately, I can't share that with you in any more detail.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

:wacko:

You don't think it'll stop at 8 do you?

Anyway, I'm away again next week, so peace and quiet will be resumed (although looking at that other thread, I'm not needed for 'noise'! :laugh:)

sadjack

Magnatom it does look like that if you had taken the correct line, the car would have entered the RB and you would have come round behind him and therefore no confrontation. But I was not there and it difficult to tell if the speed involved would mean you colliding with him anyway.

I was going to ask if you were signalling, but you were in a right turning lane so maybe no need unless the driver was not local?

But taking your original point, yes some courtesy goes a long way :laugh: and you had the forethought to be watching for cars coming onto the RB. And I do take your point about cars behind maybe cutting you up if you had taken the correct line, but was anyone behind you on this occasion and do you have to do it everytime regardless?

Seems to me that anyone posting helmet cam footage sets themselves up to be disected in minute detail, thats why I never will. I could not take it and would be left a dribbling wreck :wacko:

Team Fiwip

I’ve viewed 8-10 of magnatom’s youtube offerings and find him to be a rather cantankerous creature who regularly courts controversy. More often than not his riding appears erratic and uncontrolled with a tendency to spend more time looking to his right than straight ahead, though this is no doubt explained away as necessary in the pursuit of his latest motoring quarry.

Hope this helps towards a page 9

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Team Fiwip said:
I’ve viewed 8-10 of magnatom’s youtube offerings and find him to be a rather cantankerous creature who regularly courts controversy. More often than not his riding appears erratic and uncontrolled with a tendency to spend more time looking to his right than straight ahead, though this is no doubt explained away as necessary in the pursuit of his latest motoring quarry.

No no no... I'll help towards a page 9. You are Mr Hippo & I claim my £5!

Anyway - you ought to come on a ride with us in Team CC Ecosse; we have to start each one with a two hour, detailed & choreographed rehearsal of how we're going to set up some unsuspecting motorist so that Magnatom can film him or her and have a rant. He'll probably come along and kill me now for giving away his darkest secret, but there you are. The truth must out.

Oh yeah, and he's the crabbiest, most miserable get I've ever met. Honest. And he can talk the hind legs off a donkey, so you should be grateful he says so very little to the victims of his filmed entrapments...

:wacko:

GrasB

Veteran
I'm not a fan of that particular line, I'd be trying to follow the marked road but I understand why magnatom is doing that. I find that a lot of drivers will just ignore the mini-RAB & cut the corner usually leaving you with very little space as you exit the mini-RAB. The result is you end up taking a line similar to magnatom's here. I personally would try & at least stay on the correct side of the mini-RAB centre but you do need to straight line over the middle which effects the line you take.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Seriously now though, that's one heck of a crappy bit of road layout. I can see why Maggers takes the line he does, as any impatient muppet coming up behind is likely to try to beat the cyclist across the RAB by driving over it, with the resultant risk of clipping the cyclist who then comes round the correct way and into the path of the car trying to beat him.

Can't say what I'd do in this situation as I've not ridden this actual route so I've not experienced the danger. But as I've learned over the years to take primary through certain traffic island pinch-points on my route after repeated attempts by impatient drivers trying to pass me at these most idiotic of moments, I can appreciate that the safety situation may have driven him to take this line.

Might have been better to skirt the outside of the RAB whilst maintaining a defensive line than ride over it though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Team Fiwip said:

Youtube only shows the videos that mags uploads. I'm sure the other times when someone doesn't cut across his path, squeeze him or SMIDSY. Then he is relatively cool and signing along to abba. :wacko:

PK99

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
He did nothing wrong? He entered the roundabout when I was coming from his right.

if you had followed the correct line he would not have been in conflict with you, he would have entered and accelerated away and you followed round the roundabout.

GrasB

Veteran
had he followed the correct line I feel mags would have arrived at his rear quarter before the car had cleared the mini-RAB. So no conflict avoided, just the awareness of conflict as seen by the driver would have been reduced.

Top Bottom