Apparently I don't...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Smile enough. The parents of one of the 'yoofs' on my patch complained that I turned their little darling over(S.23 Misuse of Drugs Act) search. took him to one side away from immediate public gaze, did the search (wearing disposable gloves, as always) filed out the necessary form, gave said person a copy, search was negative, we had a bit of banter, and I sent him on his way.

Next Thing I know is the Sarge is calling me up to say she had recieved a complaint, basically along the lines that I was arrogant, I stared in a nasty way, I wore gloves when searching their son and shock horror...I don't smile enough...FFS

Should have seen me today...47 miles in 3 hours and I was fecking smiling all the way round!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
While it's always nice to see a smile, I don't know that I would expect a copper to smile all the time on duty. In fact it would be a bit creepy! I would have thought a straight face carried more dignity anyway...

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

I agree, Ok so I'm not Mr Smiley, but so what? I sent a text to sarge before going off duty - 'face aching due to increased smile, but wear and tear on retinas reduced, as not staring so much.'

She hasn't responded, I'm probably in more poo now!:smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
Well they do say honey catches more flies than vinegar. How you manage to be nice whilst searching scowling hooded scrotes is beyond me.

Don't smile if you search me, I'd think you were a bit freaky and would be on the hotline to your sarge pronto! :smile:;)

Rob S

Try adding a Dr Hibbert style chuckle after every couple of sentences. You're under arrest ahehehe you don't have to say anything but it may harm your defence ahehehe

col

Legendary Member
If you smile when searching they will say your taking the mick, no win situation, just do whats right at the time, they will always lie to try and make a complaint stick, its what they do.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

col said:
If you smile when searching they will say your taking the mick, no win situation, just do whats right at the time, they will always lie to try and make a complaint stick, its what they do.

Isn't just, and there is always an assumption by line managers that if someone complains, then you must have done something wrong.

That's life in a blue suit I'm afraid.

stumpy

If a policeman was smiling at me and pulling on a pair of rubber gloves then there would be a large amount of crying and innocence pleading coming from me. Not to mention a good proportion of cheek clenching ;):eek::biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Don't worry retirement is wonderful.Ask my missus.Finished in December after 32 years with West Yorkshire Police.;)

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

I'm (sort of) counting the days, but there are a few to go yet.
Last months Crime and Disorder panel, Mrs gob-on-a-stick asks "what yer gonna do 'bout the kids drivin' cars fast on the estate?"

A s.59 warning was duly issued to kid driving anti socially, next thing
Mrs G-O-A-S bending my ear in the street
"You's 'arrasing the kids you are"

Turns out lad given warning (unbeknown to me at the time) is boyfriend of Mrs G-O-A-S's daughter!

You simply cannot win.

mr Mag00

rising member
this is what u need
clint-eastwood-dirty-harry.jpg

smile?

Top Bottom