Applying tomato feed when planting a rose.....question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know there is a gardening section but I am sure its a basic question to many (not me as I know virtually nowt about it).
I bought a climing rose yesterday (from Bents) and as as I have no chicken pellet type fertilizer I was going to get some.......but the assistant told me "you are better of using liquid tomato feed".
My head was already spinning from trying to decide which rose etc so I failed to ask the obvious question.
So..........
Do I simply plant the rose then pour some feed around it ?
Should I dilute it ?
How much should I apply ?
I could read the label but I am sure the info will be tomato specific.
Thanks
PS.....any other advice gladly accepted.h

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Personally, I'd read the 'Tomato' instructions and then follow them.
I have successfully killed many plants over the years...

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Tomato feed is just a feed high in potassium to promote flowering and in turn fruit.

Using it now on a rose will be a waste of time and money unless it is not long off flowering. It just leaches away into the soil. You would be better off with some good old fashioned, nitrogenous muck so the rose can put its feet down properly.

Use as tomato feed every couple of weeks during flowering season. Comfrey feed even better/cheaper.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks
When you say
"good old fashioned, nitrogenous muck so the rose can put its feet down"

Can you give me a for instance ?

wormo

Guru
Dave7 where abouts in Warrington do you live? Plenty of stables about where you can get a bag of well rotted manure for free.

tom73

Guru
Like @Heltor Chasca says using it now is a waste of time. Good bit of well rotted FYM or good handful of chicken pellets is your best bet to get things off to a good start. A nice bit of liquid seaweed feed will not do any harm either great stuff for all round plant health and good for root growth too.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like @Heltor Chasca says using it now is a waste of time. Good bit of well rotted FYM or good handful of chicken pellets is your best bet to get things off to a good start. A nice bit of liquid seaweed feed will not do any harm either great stuff for all round plant health and good for root growth too.
Thanks.
I will buy some chicken pellets tomorrow for planting and get some tomato feed for later on.
Thanks to all for the advice.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Let us know how you go on asking if tthey sell it.
Brings back to mind one time I was working in the north east and staying the night in a very classy private hotel. Went for a stroll on the beach and there was dog muck everywhere.
Back at the bar I was talking to an equally classy lady in a fur coat.....I mentioned that problem. In came the manager who asked what we were talking about.
The posh lady in the fur coat very loudly said........."he is talking about all the dog sh*t on the beach".

Top Bottom