Appraisal Personal Objectives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
theclaud said:
Christ, that's nothing. SMART objectives are the tip of the iceberg. I've had to RACI, SWOT and PESTLE everything in sight. :biggrin:

I am delighted to announce (no doubt completing my fall from favour) that this afternoon I undertook a PESTLE analysis. In real life. And it helped.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
srw said:
I am delighted to announce (no doubt completing my fall from favour) that this afternoon I undertook a PESTLE analysis. In real life. And it helped.
I undertook a Pretzel analysis, then I ate it... do I get promoted for that?

srw said:
Why do you think Belbin roles are dangerous?

Pretty much every validity test that's been done on it has indicated that it has no temporal validity, disrciminant validity and is context specific. Put simply, that means:
- the results aren't stable over time
- the different roles aren't sufficiently distinct from each other to be meaningful and there's a lot of overlap
- the results vary according to the context in which you collect the data.

For recruitment this means that first, the results you get from the data collected when you recruit a person will not be robust enough to be transferrable to a later point in time when they are working for you; second, the kind of judgement opportunities they offer you are based on shaky criteria and finally the manner in which someone responds in a recruitment situation might be completely different to the manner in which they respond in a live work situation.

In short because the results are essentially unstable using it to make judgements about what a person might be like when making a decision as to whether to employ them or not is at best not particularly good practice and at worst unethical.

Blott's Mate

Cripes. Glad I didn't read this lot a couple of weeks ago. I have had to do 10 appraisals in last 10days & have 4 more to do next week. This is only the 2nd year we (veterinary practice) have done them & last year I was ropey at it. This year they have been more competent & the overall balance is that the staff will benefit by us acting on their requests to adjust ways of working/ set up training in response to needs/request. They seem to have had 100% positive response from the team.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
Just been told by my manager that I have to set two personal objectives and they must be measurable and challenging.

One of the things I might have said was being more punctual. I am not a morning person and was habitually late. However, in the end this worked out as I was able to help out the American project engineers a bit more in the evening.

It's always a good idea to keep your skills up to date in this redundancy full world. Just pick some new skill and learn it.

I always found these appraisal forms difficult to fill in. You'd do it, forget all about it, and then next year you'd have another appraisal where they'd get out your old form and see how you'd done.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Kirstie said:
Pretty much every validity test that's been done on it has indicated that it has no temporal validity, disrciminant validity and is context specific. Put simply, that means:
- the results aren't stable over time
- the different roles aren't sufficiently distinct from each other to be meaningful and there's a lot of overlap
- the results vary according to the context in which you collect the data.

For recruitment this means that first, the results you get from the data collected when you recruit a person will not be robust enough to be transferrable to a later point in time when they are working for you; second, the kind of judgement opportunities they offer you are based on shaky criteria and finally the manner in which someone responds in a recruitment situation might be completely different to the manner in which they respond in a live work situation.

In short because the results are essentially unstable using it to make judgements about what a person might be like when making a decision as to whether to employ them or not is at best not particularly good practice and at worst unethical.

I'd like to be able to understand that enough to determine whether I thought it was bollocks or not... :biggrin::ohmy:

Crankarm

Guru
I think the biggest pi55 take of the whole appraisal process, which ever one is adopted, was that done by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant in The Office where David Brent is doing big man Keith's appraisal. Inspired. They showed it up for what it is - b0ll0cks basically.

porteous

Veteran
Annual appraisals

The army caught this disease about 15 years ago, In 1993 they announced a huge redundancy programme and in 1994 my boss asked me to pop in for a "chat" about my annual appraisal. Asked me what my personal goals for the next 12 months were, and then got tetchy when I pointed out that, as a middle ranking officer I stood a 50/50 chance of being made redundant, so my personal goal for the next year was survival. ( I got made redundant 6 months later. They gave me 2 years salary, tax free, to go away. 18 months later they asked me to go back and I served another 8 years before hanging up my boots when I wanted to! What a waste of time and money.) Anyway, by that time the whole acronym ridden platitudinous crap that infests civilian HR dealings had transfered to the military, and annual reports had become a time wasting exercise.

Mindless and meaningless.

What's the first thing you learn about common sense?

That it's not common.

Prior to the 90's we had useful annual reports that, at the very least, gave you an idea of peoples capabilities, or lack of them. famous, if probably apocryphal, examples included:

"I would hesitate to breed from this officer"

"His men will follow him anywhere, mainly out of curiosity"

"Lt B**** has tried hard to get to grips with his job this year, and has learned to ride a bicycle"

theclaud

Openly Marxist
srw said:

Never! I'd quite happily do a PESTLE every day for your salary :laugh:. Actually, my issue with it is not the thing itself, but the culture in which the act of producing documents is more important than the content of the documents themselves. Writing situational analyses about an organisation I've worked for for 10 years is a walk in the park, as well as a fairly interesting exercise. The trouble is, the document of which the last one was a part will now go before people who will notionally base decisions on it, without reading it very carefully (or indeed at all).

Top Bottom