Appraisal Personal Objectives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

NickM said:
Sorry, old son, but they are most definitely taking the piss.
Whilst I wouldn't want to live in your cynical world, I'll leave it to the team to set up the meetings if they want them.

However, my appraisal is on Thursday and I always make the mistake of telling the truth. I expect to be out of work before the first quarterly meetings can be held.

andyfromotley

my friend was the recipeint of the best appraisal i have ever seen from our somewhat old school and barking Inspector, when i first joined the police.

It read in its entirety

'A tall officer. I like this man.'

I suspect The inspector wouldnt manage too well in todays police service!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
andyfromotley said:
my friend was the recipeint of the best appraisal i have ever seen from our somewhat old school and barking Inspector, when i first joined the police.

It read in its entirety

'A tall officer. I like this man.'

I suspect The inspector wouldnt manage too well in todays police service!

by christ I wish mine was that short. 10 pages of Njorl's Saga. And we've just found out that the process is changing AGAIN in April. no doubt next one I'll be literally backflipping through the burning hoop whilst copying and pasting 2007's again writing it.

They could only serve a practical purpose if written on Andrex

Norm

Norm said:
However, my appraisal is on Thursday and I always make the mistake of telling the truth. I expect to be out of work before the first quarterly meetings can be held.
If only all of my forecasts were so accurate. :laugh:

"All those with a job take a step forward! Where do you think you're going, Norm?"

Still, I got a chance to do a quick 15 miles on the bike after the meeting this afternoon. And I'll have a few more chances to do a few more miles over the next few weeks. :cry:

Norm

No payoff, sadly, only been there 10 months but the job that we discussed at the interview was not the job that they wanted me to do.

I had my first chat with the owner this afternoon (he did have the decency to tell me himself) and he seemed surprised firstly that I'd been offered a different role and secondly at my suggestions for the changes his company needs. "Would you write those down for us, you've got some good ideas there!"

Yeah, like that is going to happen. :cry:

mangaman

Kirstie said:
Pretty much every validity test that's been done on it has indicated that it has no temporal validity, disrciminant validity and is context specific. Put simply, that means:
- the results aren't stable over time
- the different roles aren't sufficiently distinct from each other to be meaningful and there's a lot of overlap
- the results vary according to the context in which you collect the data.

For recruitment this means that first, the results you get from the data collected when you recruit a person will not be robust enough to be transferrable to a later point in time when they are working for you; second, the kind of judgement opportunities they offer you are based on shaky criteria and finally the manner in which someone responds in a recruitment situation might be completely different to the manner in which they respond in a live work situation.

In short because the results are essentially unstable using it to make judgements about what a person might be like when making a decision as to whether to employ them or not is at best not particularly good practice and at worst unethical.

I bow completely to your superior knowledge here Kirstie and would be interested in what would be a good interview technique (if one exists)

I wonder more and more if a lot of interviews are actively bad, rather than just no good.

I do a lot of interviewing and I believe the process, whichever we use, is flawed. There is a tendency for the interviewers to favour some candidates (often probably based on ethnicity/sex/attractiveness etc) and the interview is then a process of confirming these initial prejudices.

I don't believe in interviews, the more I interview people!

I don't have data but I doubt there is a correlation between who we appoint and above average performance in the job (I'm interviewing doctors so they all have similar qualifications and training). It's rare to interview one who comes across well but is incompetant - most have a minimal level of competency.

I'm looking for people who are going to perform in an above average way at work and I don't know if that's possible.

(Unless we use a SirAllen type "interview from hell" and invite people to do random tasks for 8 weeks while shouting at them after each task)

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Norm said:
No payoff, sadly, only been there 10 months but the job that we discussed at the interview was not the job that they wanted me to do.

I had my first chat with the owner this afternoon (he did have the decency to tell me himself) and he seemed surprised firstly that I'd been offered a different role and secondly at my suggestions for the changes his company needs. "Would you write those down for us, you've got some good ideas there!"

Yeah, like that is going to happen. :cry:

Where is the that sucks smiley?

Top Bottom