Appropriate registration numbers on cars...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I believe it was PEN 15. I also believe that PEN 1S was never issued.
From memory I think you're probably correct. It demonstrates the potential problem personalised number plates create for the police.

The guy in Blackburn who had 13RFC was frequently pulled over and told to have his plates changed to legal ones. In the end he got rid of the number as he was tired of being pulled over. Wouldn't happen today.

Colin Hendry, ex Blackburn and Scotland, drove CH5.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They're all highly appropriate! They all mark the owner down as complete wafter who believes in their own legend and perceived importance.

My neighbor has RA08 RTA and her name is Roberta, so it's highly appropriate that such a desperate stretch for imagined glory marks her down as the total wally that she is. Her son also has (I'm guessing) his initials on his vanity plate H7 HTB, so stupidity breeds stupidity, clearly.

Private plate = Desperate social climber. With very, very few exceptions.
Wow, you seem to have very strong feelings about this, did you get left hooked by someone with a private plate once?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Had M9 MRD for a few years. Wanted M5 for May 5th for my birthday but wasn't available, the rest was my initials. No vanity reasons. Just liked it was easy to remember and nobody knew what age your car was, not that it mattered. Wrote the last one off driving to work in the winter and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of retaining it until I got another car so just let it go.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you mind me asking why though? What's the actual benefit? I've always wondered what kind of value you can get from paying for some particular letters on a number plate.
No benefit, no value, no advantage...I simply liked it so I brought it. Presumably at some time in your life you've bought something of no genuine utility simply because you liked it?

People think nothing of frittering away hundreds of pounds every single month for most of their adult lives on car payments. I've never had car finance, a loan or PCP in my life, yet I spent the equivalent of perhaps a single months finance on a plate and I get cross examined. Go figure.

Prior to that I'd change my name by deed poll to match the plate every time I bought a new car, but after a while that gets confusing.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My optician used to have SPEC 5.
A friend has KYM 5, which is his first name. He bought his many years ago and has been offered over 5 times more than he paid for it.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
A friend of mine (milliner) had the plate HAT80Y

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, I've been been offered 5 times what I paid for mine too. When this car turns up its toes I'll be giving up driving so I will sell the plate and enjoy the handsome profit. Much better returns than an ISA.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No benefit, no value, no advantage...I simply liked it so I brought it. Presumably at some time in your life you've bought something of no genuine utility simply because you liked it?

People think nothing of frittering away hundreds of pounds every single month for most of their adult lives on car payments. I've never had car finance, a loan or PCP in my life, yet I spent the equivalent of perhaps a single months finance on a plate and I get cross examined. Go figure.

Sorry you felt like it was a cross examination! I've never wanted one, so I was just genuinely interested in what drives the desire for one.

Top Bottom