Appropriate registration numbers on cars...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
They're all highly appropriate! They all mark the owner down as complete wafter who believes in their own legend and perceived importance.

My neighbor has RA08 RTA and her name is Roberta, so it's highly appropriate that such a desperate stretch for imagined glory marks her down as the total wally that she is. Her son also has (I'm guessing) his initials on his vanity plate H7 HTB, so stupidity breeds stupidity, clearly.

Private plate = Desperate social climber. With very, very few exceptions.

Be interesting to know what you spend your disposable on.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you're looking for an appropriate registration number then I don't think you'll beat this. For me it summarises my general experience of vanity platers, especially the drivers of wankpanzers. (Yes, yes, I know there will be exceptions.)

Rocky

Hello decadence
They're all highly appropriate! They all mark the owner down as complete wafter who believes in their own legend and perceived importance.

Private plate = Desperate social climber. With very, very few exceptions.
60 years ago my father bought a new Morris Traveller with a number plate 1 *** (I'm not giving details). They were not seen as special in those days and it just came with the car. He transferred it to every new car he got and when he died in 2008, he left me his car and number plate in his will. In those last 12 years, I have transferred it to the two new cars I have owned. I will leave it to my older son.

I am not a social climber. I am not a wafter. I do not have a legend and I don't think of myself as important. I do, however, have very fond memories of a special man who I miss every single day.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I don't get them, if you do then great. Fleets etc kinda makes sense but why pay more for a new reg + transfer fee when I've got one.

My cars on a BP64 plate which I could swap for an NI one for £0.. Still be the same car 🤷

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A couple of weeks ago I was behind an unbadged and current model 7 series BMW with the reg number 1P.
Oddly, it is not showing up on DVLA database or any of the tyre supplier searches.

Smudge

Veteran
I used to know a guy with a Yamaha R1 and he bought a reg number that was.....
R15
EXX
Of course the reg number as its supposed to be on a motorcycle doesn't work like this. So he put the reg all in one line as....
R1 5EXY. The last letter he blocked part of it off with a yellow screw.
So the plate was not only an illegal format, plus a miniscule size, but he had also illegally modified the last letter. The soft twot called pulled by the police constantly with it.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Dad bought a mini traveler from a farmer many moons ago for £17.50 (he wanted £20) it was in full working order it had just been in his barn for years, anyway the reg was CMA and a couple of numbers, Charles Marshall Amour who was a leading member of the scouts lived up the road and came to the house to ask about the reg, my dad gave it to him for the cost of the transfer.
Many fire fighter vehicles on the island have 999 in the reg, no police vehicles however.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I used to have 1150 MAN on a BMW RGS 1150, bought it with the bike and sold it with the bike, it now lives on a BMW 5 series estate car!

Smudge

Veteran
I've also seen a Harley with the reg number....
B16
EVO
Which is only really relevant to people that know about Harleys.

Smudge

Veteran
Personally i've never bought a private reg number, its just not something i would spend my hard earned on. Sometimes i've been lucky in being able to pick a reg number that goes with whatever new car or bike i'm buying. But thats becoming very rare these days. The DVLA are well clued up on any reg numbers that correspond to vehicles or names and they get sold separately.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My neighbour has an older three letters & three numbers plate on his Saab. It came off a Lotus sports car he used to own years ago.

Thing is, he really looks after his Saab. He has had it for at least 16 years and the unusual plate means it still looks like a new-ish car. So there's an exception to the rule !

Top Bottom