Are bib shorts really more comfortable than normal shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I have only ever had normal shorts and I was wondering whether it would be worth investing in good quality bib shorts or is there not much of a difference between bib shorts and normal shorts?

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't find them any more of less comfortable than similarly spec'd cycle shorts.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
years ago bibs were better as they didnt bunch , with moeder fabrics i dont think its an issue although i prefer bibs to keep your lower back from showing if you have a short jersey and stops the cold air a bit when its cooler .

tom73

Guru
I lasted a week with shorts before i'd had enough went to bibs and never looked back. In the end it's personal choice I just find them better all round compared to shorts. As for what type I found cheeper ones ok when I was just starting out and once I found I liked them bought some good quality ones on offer and i'd say yes you can tell the difference.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is only one downside to bibs, that is 'comfort' breaks especially for the ladies

Else bibs dont generally crease whilst riding, less chance of chafing

steverob

Guru
Bib shorts are just ordinary shorts with shoulder straps (or ordinary shorts are just bib shorts with the straps cut off if you want to do it that way). If you look at shorts made by the same manufacturer, the actual "short" bit with the padding in will be identical for the same model in both varieties.

Bib shorts "should" move around less, but I've always found I get more discomfort from the straps cutting in to my shoulders. But then I have an oddly proportioned body and many things that fit me in one dimension don't in the others. I'll stick to regular shorts for now...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are obese then bib shorts can be more comfortable because you don't have the problem of a waistband (or belt) bifurcating your belly!

I switched over to Endura Humvee baggies (<--- as in my current avatar photo) after losing weight and found those comfortable. Unfortunately I have put 10 kgs back on and I am now not so suited to them because the buckle on the belt digs in.

Julia9054

Guru
There is only one downside to bibs, that is 'comfort' breaks especially for the ladies
Endura have a brilliant “zip your rear end out” feature to overcome this.

Faratid

Yes. For me.
But there's only one way to find out for you, and it doesn't involve posting here.

I've had bib shorts for decades. Before that it was shorts with braces on. Lethal.

I sometimes use Tri shorts instead of bibs. I can't tell much difference and my riding pals haven't noticed.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Yes. For me.
But there's only one way to find out for you, and it doesn't involve posting here.
I will give bib shorts ago I am new to cycling so I am finding it hard to know what shorts to buy and I am also unsure whether a cycling jersey is essential like shorts or whether to buy 2 pairs of cycling shorts or 1 cycling shorts and 1 jersey?

Julia9054

Guru
I will give bib shorts ago I am new to cycling so I am finding it hard to know what shorts to buy and I am also unsure whether a cycling jersey is essential like shorts or whether to buy 2 pairs of cycling shorts or 1 cycling shorts and 1 jersey?
Jerseys are useful because they have pockets in the right place compared to a running top or other sports top.
Depending how often you intend to ride, I would say 2 of each as your whole outfit will need washing after every ride. Spend most of your money on the shorts. A good source of jerseys is eBay as you can pick up decent stuff second hand with not much wear in it. I don’t fancy second hand shorts, personally, but each to their own!

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yes.... you won't go back IMO.
No waist and pulled comfortably up your back. I wouldn't wear anything else.
I have always found Endura to be excellent.

Top Bottom