Are bib shorts really more comfortable than normal shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I prefer bibs but I think that's mostly down to my physique. I have a bulging tummy.
I find that the elastic band in ordinary shorts slides down the underside of my fat blob and then they start sagging. Not nice.
Bibs just stay up.

I keep reading that bibs are more comfortable and can understand how they could be. The trouble is I have no problems at all with waist shorts, even on long rides (or 40 miles which is very long for me) so I have no incentive to wear them.

Pro cyclists are normally as thin as rakes, how many of them wear bibs? When they unzip their jerseys on hot days I cannot recall seeing them wearing bibs.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Jerseys are useful because they have pockets in the right place compared to a running top or other sports top.
Depending how often you intend to ride, I would say 2 of each as your whole outfit will need washing after every ride. Spend most of your money on the shorts. A good source of jerseys is eBay as you can pick up decent stuff second hand with not much wear in it. I don’t fancy second hand shorts, personally, but each to their own!
How much money should I expect to spend on a decent pair of shorts are ones for £60 good enough? I have seen bib shorts that cost nearly £200. The varied prices are very confusing for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you I will have a look
Try to find something reduced
Altura another decent brand
Eg https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Altura/Firestorm-Bib-Short/PY9A

If buying online, go for a retailer with free delivery and free returns

D

Deleted member 26715

I seem to have ended up with quite a bit of Polaris stuff, when they are on sale they are a good price, bit rich at full though

Mike_P

Guru
I did have a Polaris pair where the leg grip section detached. The one pair I have issues with are Altura which simply do not have enough stretch for no.1s without being bent double. Use them on short 'pit stop' free rides. Other Polaris Gel Tech pair are okay, current favourites are Funkier 18 panel (IIRC). Never paid more than the low £30s. Start Fitness have jerseys from £5, obvious personal opinion but if you intend to ride on warm sunny days a jersey with a good deal of white can help whilst for visibility red ones work well when greenery is full force whilst yellow ones are best life to when flies etc are not about in any number. Good source of cheap offers is bikebargains.co.uk

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I prefer bibs for the same reasons that people have mentioned already: all round better:smile:

Italian made bibs (with good reviews) reduced from £70 to £42.95 here at Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/gsg-pordoi-cycling-bib-shorts-193058.html

I wouldn't hesitiate to try these - they look very good for the price. 17 more positive reviews at Prendas if that helps: https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/giessegi-pordoi-bib-shorts

Just bear in mind that Italian cut & sizing is traditionally lean and small (pro cyclist), but cycling clothing made in Italy - I've been very happy with Nalini/Moa, Giordana & Santini - is generally guaranteed quality in both fabrics & performance.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
I wear bib shorts.
I used to wear shorts, with braces and tights over them in winter.... with braces .....
2 pairs of braces .............
Bib shorts and tights are the best .....
My bib shorts and tights come from the Planet X Clubman range .... £24.99 and £29.99 .....
Top Quality Kit !!^_^

boydj

Legendary Member
I keep reading that bibs are more comfortable and can understand how they could be. The trouble is I have no problems at all with waist shorts, even on long rides (or 40 miles which is very long for me) so I have no incentive to wear them.

Pro cyclists are normally as thin as rakes, how many of them wear bibs? When they unzip their jerseys on hot days I cannot recall seeing them wearing bibs.

The pros are all wearing bibs or skin suits.

Top Bottom