Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I went to school there was a guy we used to see daily, 12 months of the year he only wore shorts, no top, no shoes or socks, naked except for shorts. So there is your answer.

Was he on a bike though?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nonsense. Any more than a bunch of footballers wearing studded boots are weird masochists.

The difference is footballers only wear studded boots when actually on the football pitch. They don't go into town afterwards and walk around the shops still wearing them. Road cyclists must just enjoy making a complete spectacle of themselves in public.

yello

Time to roll out Grant Peterson's views perhaps!

https://www.rivbike.com/pages/the-shoes-ruse

Interesting read and, surprisingly, one I've not read before. I broad strokes agree with what he writes, and it reminded me of conversations with my brother (who was very sniffy about cleats) Not sure I agree with his 'learning to pedal in circles' argument but whatever.

I'll stick my cleats though (to used to them now) ... and I'll continue to carry my judo slipper things for the off-bike occasions - if for no other reason than it amuses may club mates on our monthly restaurant rides!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Yes, but you don't wear padded shorts either. Weirdo!
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I love pain :wacko: Brooks saddle pain :ohmy:

Nebulous

Guru
They're definitely not necessary. Useful maybe but not necessary.

I started cycling seriously in my late 40s and got cycling shoes as a matter of course, because everyone else had them. I struggled for a start, fell off several times, but got used to them and came to like them. I do some very long rides and wouldn't be without them. I also cycle a short distance to work using flat pedals, with a variety of shoes. Occasionally when I'm working away from home I take my work bike and go out cycling in the evening or early mornning. I'll do 25-30 miles with a pair of old trainers with very thin pliable soles. This goes against all the perceived wisdom about hard soles, but I like the 'feel' of the pedal when I'm cycling.

Now it's impossible to isolate the components making a difference. My work bike is a cyclocross bike with full guards, a rack, a low-end groupset and heavy marathon tyres. It weighs about 5 kilos more than my best bike. Weather conditions, terrain, my state of fitness and traffic conditions all come into play, but it's hard to tell what influence each has. I doubt if there is more than 1mph difference between a 30 mile trip with the two bikes.

U

User169

I couldn't resist. Panda pedals outta Japan...

IMG_20190628_213807.jpg

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I can ride in normal shoes or trainers but don't find the flexy sole so pleasant and dislike the way my foot position can alter.
And this is one of the reasons I ride flats, because I like making micro adjustments.
Plus I am 'Blobbo foot'!

Top Bottom