Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up

Interesting article, it might tempt me to try some flats, the last time I tried some was on the MTB it wasn't a good experience my feet kept coming of the pedals, I have never pulled up on the pedal in nearly 60 years of cycling, but I have been using clipless since the early 1980's so any change will be a big one for me.

One things for certain, I wont be cycling in sandles or crocks, stiff sole shoes are fine for me.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The main reason I switched from flat pedals to SPDs was ankle support. I narrowly avoided tendonitus of my left achilles tendon, due to riding too far each week on flat pedals. When I swiched to SPDs that pain stopped.

Some cyclists say they can regularly ride long distances using flat pedals, but it's never worked out for me.

Thomson

After a year and half off shortish cycles. To work and back on flat pedals. Now have a second bike and just started using spd pedals. Going much longer cycles and find it easier to peddle. No slipping feet. Constantly pushing and pulling rather than mashing with flats. Still prefer flats for short work commute 3 miles. And the spd for my first 70miler last weekend. I can clip out easy every time it’s just the clipping in I am rubbish at. Can only get better tho in time :-)

U

User169

I couldn't resist. Panda pedals outta Japan...

View attachment 472973

Damn. These things arent easy. Not convinced at all. First impression is that Spds are far easier to deal with. Will have a proper ride tomorrow and a 200km rando next week to give them a fair work out, but not hugely optimistic.

tyred

Legendary Member
Interesting article, it might tempt me to try some flats, the last time I tried some was on the MTB it wasn't a good experience my feet kept coming of the pedals, I have never pulled up on the pedal in nearly 60 years of cycling, but I have been using clipless since the early 1980's so any change will be a big one for me.

One things for certain, I wont be cycling in sandles or crocks, stiff sole shoes are fine for me.

Most of my riding is done on flat pedals, usually the BMX/MTB kind with spikes and I am happy with that as they work for me. I usually wear hiking shoes which have a supportive sole anyway.

Most of my recent riding has been done on my Viscount with toe straps and cages, this is mainly because I needed pedals and robbed these from one of my spare bikes.

I actually completed a tour in sandals a few years ago. I had the sandals with me as spare evening wear as they are easy to pack but the weather was exceptionally hot so I tried to see if I could cycle in them and I could so wore them (on flat pedals). It worked very well and my feet kept nice and cool.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've read that it's better for your feet and legs and back not to have your foot clipped to the pedal in one place.

It makes sense to me, so you can more easily vary the workload, riding position and different pressure points
And how much more efficient is being clipped in, for your average cyist, unless you're trying to win races, or beat times, and have really worked on perfecting your upstroke ?

They seem like a liability to me, esp on rougher ground.
I've always ridden on flats.

I wear trail running shoes for touring..

Means Im ready for a day walk, and off bike activities.

No need for supplementary foot wear, except some lightweight sandals maybe..

I did develop a bit of sore knee on a ten day tour one time, but realised it was just cos I'd got the saddle too low.

I wear trail running shoes for touring..
Aren't the soles a bit floppy?

I wear both flats and clipped.

Flats on exped bike to help lugging it - ridden south london to caister near yarmouth with that setup and didn't feel the lack of clips.

Wear flats cycling round london for cultural stuff.

I like clips for day rides but it's my understanding that the extra power transmission on the upstroke is a bit of a myth.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

If riding flats you want ones with pins on them. I use DMR V12 pedals and never slip.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Aren't the soles a bit floppy?

I wear both flats and clipped.

Flats on exped bike to help lugging it - ridden south london to caister near yarmouth with that setup and didn't feel the lack of clips.

Wear flats cycling round london for cultural stuff.

I like clips for day rides but it's my understanding that the extra power transmission on the upstroke is a bit of a myth.

No, soles are stiff enough for my porpoises.

Innovate trail shoes mostly.

I cycle using the toe bases on pedals for power transmission, and flexibility, maybe that's why I've got such strong feet.

Well there's that, n all the farming, hillwalking and the yoga probs helps too :rolleyes:

Pushing down with the instep would be rough on the ligaments of the feet imo,
I like to be able to feel what I'm doing.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Newbie cyclist. I am perfectly happy in fairly soft soled trainers and DMR V8 pedals. Up to 47 miles so far and no slipping issues to report.

Tourer & commuter here. I've only used flats with whatever footwear I happen to have, normally sandals. Ecco leather shoes in winter.
The way I see it, I'm not in a race, I'm carrying everything I need, so multiple use is handy. I'm on the bike 8-10 hours max in a day, the rest of the time I need something non cycling specific for my feet. Besides, clipless pedals and shoes add significantly to the cost.

I have started experimenting with toe clips on my tourer, simply because my feet have a tendency to slip off when wet. I don't like the flat pedals with spikes because they'll damage the soles of my sandals/shoes.

I do recall doing a lot of cycling in boots which had the effect of seriously weakening my ankles.

I like the freedom to move my feet around as I pedal and on a summer's day there is something wonderful about cycling through a puddle and feeling the water splash over my toes^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I like the freedom to move my feet around as I pedal and on a summer's day there is something wonderful about cycling through a puddle and feeling the water splash over my toes^_^
Urgh! Please don't inflict those on us....

upload_2019-7-3_8-56-8.png

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
2019-06-04 13.27.52.jpg
I would now say you need them. I was wearing these the other day. Stopped for a beer and a young lady started to chat to me. She wanted to know how far how long and the usual stuff. But she really wanted to know about the shoes.^_^ Was a really nice chat.

Top Bottom