Are ducks meatier than they used to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just been partially stripping a duck carcass from Sunday to do a duck and coconut curry. Not only is there enough for about four portions of curry, but there is so much decent stuff on the carcass that I'm steaming it down for duck, apple and orange soup for Saturday lunch. This was a half price Co-Op duck which would normally provide about 3 portions. I'm up to 8-10 without breaking into a sweat.

I'd always regarded duck as a bit like goose - there's bugger all on it apart from fat and bones. Have they become modified in some way in the last couple of years.

Surely there are no artificial add-ons from the finest butcher in the universe?

Or has Patrick been duped?

screenman

Legendary Member
About a mile from here there is a have a shed with 1,000,000 or so in there, 12 weeks from egg to table. Not my favourite but a friend was saying the same as Patrick a short while back.

I got this half price from the Co-Op. :ohmy:

so you say...

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Never mind all that size nonsense. Recipe please :hungry:

Using up leftovers, rather than a recipe. Fry up onion and red pepper, add garlic, medium curry powder and one third Madras, plus some turmeric, plain flour - basic roux stuff. Boil kettle in mean time and chop up half a block of coconut. Add water, two chicken oxos and the coconut. Stir while it thickens. Then add coarsely stripped duck, diced remains of roast potato, and the parsnip. I'll need to adjust the seasoning, and I'll let you know in ten minutes.

In the meantime the duck carcase is in the big stock pot with the remains of the stuffing, to be scraped totally clean once cool and the liquid residue put aside for the Saturday soup - duck and spiced apple with caramellised orange topping.

Nowt goes to waste round here.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
jump_off_cliff.jpe

Top Bottom