Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm interested to see how we as a group perceive assisted ebikes.

I'm asking about assisted ebikes...the type that add power to each pedal stroke (not the type where you don't pedal and just press an accelerator button)

vickster

Legendary Member
No, unless they are being used in a race

Drago

Legendary Member
They're not for me, doesn't mean they're not right for someone else.

Posted before..

My wife is disabled and her Bionx powered Gekko gives a new lease that allows her to cycle. The assisted input also allows regulation of the input, with a high input for the last stretch home, but allowing an unassisted mode at the start

We then found that when we got somewhere we were restricted, so bought a Christiania trike to lug a mobility scooter to allow mobility when we arrived somewhere. However a very heavy trike carrying a 70kg mobility scooter needed a litte assistance on hills, hence the power assist

MY MiL also extended her cycling into her 80's by using an electrical assist system

They have a genuine place in the diversity of cycling

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheating who?

As an ebiker, I'm bound to like this post.

It is also what I ask the occasional pushbiker who calls me a cheat on the road.

At the risk of taking such remarks too seriously, calling someone a cheat is a nasty allegation, it's akin to calling someone dishonest - not something I would do unless I was very sure of my ground.

The last time I was called a cheat was on a recent forum ride with @ColinJ.

It was on a long climb and I was trying to catch @Sea of vapours.

This involved edging alongside a roadie, who was climbing strongly.

After I'd dealt with the cheat remark, we had an agreeable conversation about ebikes and our cycling plans for the day.

To answer the OP's question about the view of CycleChat members, I've received nothing other than positive remarks from members on forum rides.

Ebikers have their uses - on a couple of forum rides I've provided some shelter for the others into a headwind, and some pacing up a long climb.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
No. It's not a race, so by definition you cannot be cheating.
Anyone on any form of two wheels is far far preferable to another ton of metal on the road.

ETA: However that doesn't seem to stop the tiny evil part of me pushing hard to get ahead of one on occasion:evil:. I fight the compulsion, it's not big, it's not clever and it impresses nobody.

Last edited:
Top Bottom