Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Changed my mind, I think they're a bad idea. My wife's just seen an advert for one on TV and the first thing she said to me was 'Cool, I could get an electric bike and then I could go out cycling with you' :stop:

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

(I suggested we hire one for her to try - my friend is opening a cycling cafe in town and will have a few as part of his hire pool) :okay:

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Only cheating when they are used on Strava segments.
A few KoMs around here are a bit suspect.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think there are ebike groups on strava that you can join in. To be fair I'm not bothered about strava anyway, and because there are lots of suspect times and speeds on strava for various reasons, it isn't worth following or putting too much if any value on it.

Mrs M

Guru
Changed my mind, I think they're a bad idea. My wife's just seen an advert for one on TV and the first thing she said to me was 'Cool, I could get an electric bike and then I could go out cycling with you' :stop:

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

(I suggested we hire one for her to try - my friend is opening a cycling cafe in town and will have a few as part of his hire pool) :okay:
I saw that ad this morning and told Mr M we would be getting these in the future so we can keep cycling :eek:
I think they're great :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Only cheating when they are used on Strava segments.
A few KoMs around here are a bit suspect.
Strava isn't a competition with a prize for the winner. It's just a "Look at me" ego trip, so any method of getting the fastest time is fair play. If I was on it I'd set all my times in the car then sit back and watch all the Chris Froome wannabes trying to beat it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My wife's just seen an advert for one on TV and the first thing she said to me was 'Cool, I could get an electric bike and then I could go out cycling with you'
Aren't you thrilled? :whistle: ^_^

Ebikes: first time I saw one (it was actually two but you know what I mean) I was on foot, there was this elderly couple on their unusual touring bikes, fully loaded, crossing the lights.
So of course I started chatting with them, said I liked their bikes.
They told me proudly: "We are 75, you know, we are going on tour. These are our electric bikes, we could never manage without ".
Great, I thought, gives the older folks a chance to do what younger ones can do as a matter of fact.
I am Pat 5mph, middle aged, chubby and a smoker: still, when a woman on an electric bike came to ride with our group she could not keep up with me.
She had no health problems, does not smoke, is quite slim.
Obviously an electric bike isn't everything, plus the battery fell off into a puddle made us worried about electric shocks :giggle:
I did almost burst a gut riding with @Pale Rider, but that would have happened anyway, 'lecky bike or not.
If the time comes, I would get one. For now, I don't mind walking up hills.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Saw a few folks out on ebikes on the weekend ride in Delamere, they looked to be having fun.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Can someone please post angrily about how they are all disgusting cheaters so that we can get a proper argument going because the tone of this thread so far has been very reasonable and intelligent and lacking in general unpleasantness thank you[/QUOTE

If you take the first door on your left I'm sure you will find something being discussed more vigorously.

Tin Pot

Guru
Can someone please post angrily about how they are all disgusting cheaters so that we can get a proper argument going because the tone of this thread so far has been very reasonable and intelligent and lacking in general unpleasantness thank you

Of course it's cheating - it's obviously cheating. Anyone who doesn't think it's cheating obviously doesn't know the rules!

Tin Pot

Guru
I got out at the weekend on my new bike and managed to get in a lovely 35 mile ride, a new PB for me!!! :smile: :smile:

scooter.php?img=vespian2.jpg

Top Bottom