Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I'm a couple months into ebiking at only 39 (been riding normal bikes 30+ years).

I don't see making my commute to work a little easier as "cheating", I'm not racing anybody..

I've just built a second ebike as a weekend project, same again I'll enjoy riding that but won't be cheating anybody. If you can get out for longer and enjoy more time on the saddle surely it's a good thing?.

I'm on my feet all day at work, making the ride home more enjoyable can only be a plus for me!.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Of Course they are not cheating. Its a way for people to a) extend the years they can continue to cycle..b) gives people who hate hills or who are thinking of giving up new zest and motivation to get out. C) gives people who want to get some exercise a new way of doing so. D) allows people who may have problems with they're joints get out and about and improve theyre overall fitness.

And these days.a lot of younger people are using them especially MTB users and trail users.

I'm giving serious consideration to getting one as I'm sick and tired of the hills here and losing motivation at a rapid rate of knots.

And lastly, who gives a stuff if some people don't like them, and who think they are cheating.

Goggs

Guru
They're very popular around these parts. We have two companies in town who rent them out & they appear to be doing a roaring trade. I'd love one myself but they're out of my league price-wise.

johnnyb47

Guru
No. E bikes are not cheating. They essentially open up the world to people of all walks of life. An elderly person who has enjoyed cycling all his life but cannot participate any more because of failing health or to someone who lives in a hilly area and just wants to cycle to work with minimal fuss. There's a 101reasons for the wanting of one. Dad has one because he has had a hip replacement which didn't go to well but at the ripe old age of 75 it still gives him the freedom to get out there and enjoy his ride out , as well as enjoying light exercise. At the local time trails there are cyclists with all kinds of bikes varying from steel framed road bikes to state of the art carbon fibre bikes. Would that be classed as cheating having a superior bike ? Definitely not in my view, Were all in it together and whether it's a normal bike or an E bike, the cities and country side would be a far nicer place to live if the car was replaced by these two wheeled wonders :-)) Its also nice to know that when i get old and knackered I will be fortunate to be able to continue cycling with the aid of an E bike. This was not really an option 10 years back for the older generation who would of want to continue cycling. I would love to see the future of E bikes become even more environmentally friendly though. Wouldn't it be great if a government scheme was set up for work places to have solar panels on the bike shed roofs to recharge E bikes whilst your at work as well as other places around the city centres. A carbon free and endless amount of free energy for all. Its all a long way off on doubt but one day I think this will eventually happen :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
Until theres no space in the bike racks, then its a bad thing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are a good way to get folk on bikes. My old man is considering one to help with the ferocious head winds you get on the coast.

Some of the new electric assist MTB's from Scott etc look amazing, but so they should at the price. Electric DH bikes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have done some very long and hilly rides with Pale Rider recently, him riding his trusty ebike. I think it would be fair to say that there is no way that he could have done them on a conventional bike this year. Maybe in years to come if he really worked at it, but not right now. So, should he just have stayed at home and not bothered?

I asked him how much effort he has to make and how much is done by the motor. He reckons it is about 50-50. That means that he is still getting a lot of beneficial exercise on those rides. (He really ought to give up his cigar breaks while waiting for me at the summits though! :whistle: :laugh:)

Motor-assisted speeds are limited by law in the UK to (I think) 15.5 mph so there is no way that an ebiker is going to drop me on the flat or downhill. 15.5 mph is a speed that I can only do on the easiest of climbs though, or with a fantastic tailwind, but I am often last up the climbs anyway, so what does it matter if an ebiker or 2 join the others waiting for me!

I wouldn't buy an ebike while I am still fit enough to do my hilly rides unassisted but if the day comes where without help I would have to stick to boring flat routes, I will head down to the ebike shop!

PS I wouldn't be quite so happy to be accompanied by someone on an ebike that works without any pedal input. (I think those are not legal in the UK now?) That would be like someone on a motorbike/scooter riding with me. If someone is going to watch me suffer up a steep hill, then I'd like them to at least be breaking a sweat themselves!

Actually, if somebody had a health problem that prevented them putting ANY effort in, it wouldn't really be fair to deny them a chance to enjoy the countryside as well.

Just make whatever effort you can, and let a motor do the rest.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I would say most of my riding is none to quarter assist, and half up big hills and wind!.

The pedal assist bikes don't ride themselves, the Gtech deffinitely requires rider input.

Top Bottom