Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Shamed to admit I wasn't far off battering one of the mobility pilots as he nearly ran over my 4 year old daughter no long back..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Assuming that I have understood this......

"Fast e-bikes" are those that exceed the regulations (typically 15mph)

They would be treated as in the rest of Europe

The European wide assist limit for a pedelec to be classed, effectively, as a bicycle is 15.5mph or 25kmh.

Nothing - other than the fact ebikes are very heavy - to stop the user pedalling it faster.

In mainland Europe there is another class, S or speed pedelec - where the assistance limit is 45km/h or 28mph.

In most countries, S-pedelecs require a registration plate, and for the user to have insurance and wear a helmet.

The class is not recognised in the UK.

Thus anyone using an ebike that assists above 15.5mph is riding a moped - almost always without insurance or a helmet - which cannot be legally used on anything other than a road.

I've heard of a couple of owners who have managed to register an S-pedelec as a low powered moped in this country, but there was an awful lot of form filling.

Pointless exercise, if you want to rattle along at 30mph legally, it's cheaper and altogether simpler to buy a manufacturer type approved moped.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I get scared for everyone else when I see them on the pavement :laugh:
My village's drivers have helpfully protected everyone from that menace by parking all over the pavements.

As to the OP - I didn't vote, but I would see it as "cheating" for me to use one, because it isn't what cycling is about for me, right now. I'm not interested in judging what other people do in respect of e-bike use though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As to the OP - I didn't vote, but I would see it as "cheating" for me to use one, because it isn't what cycling is about for me, right now.
Yeah, well, we (you and I ) would be cheating ourselves, because we know that we can cycle unaided.
For those who can't, better them being on an electric bike than on no bike at all.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Pointless exercise, if you want to rattle along at 30mph legally, it's cheaper and altogether simpler to buy a manufacturer type approved moped.

Or just be Wiggo

One of the lads that works at our caravan site in North Wales has a petrol assisted bike. It will clock well over 40 apparently. He uses it on the NCN path to get to work, as we all know these things aren't legal. Not seen it yet, but my dad has.

That I can believe

I had a de-restricted homebrew e-bike brought in for service. I took it for a go down our warehouse just on twist and go - although without a speedo but I was definitely doing over 30 before I had to brake .

The stress on the motors and battery packs can make for a shorter service life - I know some of the Haibikes are easy to de-restrict but they have inbuilt diagnostics - if you've de-restricted it, no warranty

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Shamed to admit I wasn't far off battering one of the mobility pilots as he nearly ran over my 4 year old daughter no long back..
I'll never forget the mobility pilot knocking my mum over in Blackpool about 10 years ago. She ended up with a gash over her eye brow that needed 7 stitches after a 3 hour wait in Blackpool Vic' A&E. I took the idiot's ignition key out and threw it across the road after he said it was her fault for not moving when he shouted at her to get out the way.

keithmac

Guru
I'll never forget the mobility pilot knocking my mum over in Blackpool about 10 years ago. She ended up with a gash over her eye brow that needed 7 stitches after a 3 hour wait in Blackpool Vic' A&E. I took the idiot's ignition key out and threw it across the road after he said it was her fault for not moving when he shouted at her to get out the way.

Should of inserted the key in his eye socket!.

Same as every walk of life I guess, a few bad apples spoil it for everyone else..

BorderReiver

Veteran
If I rode one at the moment I would feel like I was "cheating" but I am a *cough* reasonably fit MAMIL. Getting to the top of a hill, or the end of a long ride knowing I hadn't done it under my own power just wouldn't feel right and would take a huge chunk of the satisfaction away. If I'm still cycling when I'm 85 and the only way I can get out is with electric assistance then I don't suppose it will feel like cheating then. Any cycling is better than no cycling. If I passed somebody on an electric bike (or, more likely, they passed me) I certainly wouldn't think they were cheating if they were okay with the idea.

No,they are not cheating,not themselves and not anyone.
I see them as giving someone who might not enjoy a clean physical bill of health a chance to still enjoy their passion.
Or even if they do have a clean bill of health,cycling is not all about tackling that massive hill,it's about enjoying other aspects of cycling.
Such as just being out in the fresh air,looking at the scenery etc.
Tackling big hills on trails is what my cycling is about,but there are times(in advancing years),I wish I had some assistance ^_^
If you are out and about on a bike of any shape,size or powered ,it's good by me.

Top Bottom