Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I don't see what the problem is, if you want to ride one then ride one, if you don't then don't.

What does it matter if someone else does?

Just enjoy what you're doing and stop judging others who you know nothing about.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I get scared for everyone else when I see them on the pavement :laugh:
Maybe we need some tracks suitable for wheeled vehicles but closed to large high-speed motorised ones? ;)

Seriously, around here, mobility scooter pilots share the cycle tracks. It's actually quite useful because they get far more annoyed about motorists parking on it or otherwise obstructing tracks, because they're much less able to bump down kerbs quickly or get off and carry the bike past, plus the "you're obstructing me" argument is much more powerful when coming from someone perceived as disabled (although not all are, of course).

davidphilips

Veteran
ebikes are great for some no way are they cheating and they are here to stay, with better battery technology they can only get better and hopefully even come down in both weight and price.
theres a man lives very close to me in his late 80s and has had both hips replaced and he goes out on his ebike no one could call him a cheat, inspiration maybe and i hope if i get to his age i can still cycle with or without an ebike, maybe by that time there will be a simple light weigh add on for a standard road bike weighing no more than a water bottle.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I don't know about cheating but this type is best avoided...
derny.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surely seeing that one beside you is worse....
Nah, I reckon that you'd live to ride another day ... :whistle:

U

User32269

Of course e-bikes are cheating. Carbon is cheating. Disc brakes are cheating. Indexed gears are cheating. Di2 is beyond cheating.
In fact, anybody who doesn't ride a 30+ year old steel racer with down tube friction shifters is a cheat. So there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Of course e-bikes are cheating. Carbon is cheating. Disc brakes are cheating. Indexed gears are cheating. Di2 is beyond cheating.
In fact, anybody who doesn't ride a 30+ year old steel racer with down tube friction shifters is a cheat. So there.
Friction shifters? To operate gears? Henri Desgrange is spinning in his grave at the thought of such cheatingness.

Cyrill666

Personally I don't see it as cheating. Although part of the appeal to me is the health benefit of getting to the top of the climb under my own steam. I enjoy the "down" knowing I earned it in sweat on the "up".

I realise not everyone is capable or even cares about the "ups", and that's fine. Horses for courses etc.

Maybe I'm just jealous as I can't afford the price tag, haha.

I did see a guy in Hamsterley a few weeks ago towing friends up a climb via an e bike and length of rope. I didn't see them again so I assume it was successfull.

Top Bottom