Are food and drink descriptions total bollocks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being middle class and keen on food and drink (yes, Jeeves another packet of scratchings and some more White Lightning would go down a treat) I read the food and drink supplements in the broadsheets. I have come to several conclusions:

1. Many of the foods simply do not exist eg "traditional Norfolk Blue Whammy cheese with capers and vodka."

2. Sweetbreads are much overrated.

3. My local paper (the Daily Post) is at least honest in that it rates restaurants by the size of the steak, the fact that it was cooked for more than an hour, the extra portion of chips, the Black Forest gateaux (the Sara Lee is the critic's favourite) and the availability of Blue Nun on the wine list.

4. Very few people like eating nearly all their food raw. I've read vast amounts of rubbish about rare pigeon breast. It's on a par with reading about rare shin beef from a fast migrating wildebeest. It's as tough as old boots. Cook pigeon slowly and it's delicious, but rare and you might as well chew Ostrich sinew.

5. It's all fashion led. Do you remember how three years ago everything came with polenta? Polenta is East European stodge and considerably less appetising than instant mashed potato.

6. The vast majority of restaurant critics come from backgrounds where they had unutterable food at boarding school and simply haven't got a clue what good food tastes like.

stephec

Legendary Member
That chippy in the centre of Llangollen does nice chips. :tongue:

If you come along the A5 from Corwen and turn left at the crossroads in the centre of town it's the one opposite the tourist information place. Cafe on the corner, takeaway next door if I remember rightly.

Just don't try and sit on a bench near the top of the Horseshoe to try and eat them as you'll be surrounded by a herd of greedy sheep!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I do marvel at the ability of the middle classes to sneer at cuisine. It's an acquired taste, Patrick. Your must educate your palate. (Writes the man whose lunch has just been received with the kind of rave reviews hitherto reserved for a 'Larry' first night at the RSC)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The vast majority of restaurant critics come from backgrounds where they had unutterable food at boarding school and simply haven't got a clue what good food tastes like.
Sounds like ASC1951 (poster of this parish), might have found his true vocation in life.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
stephec said:
That chippy in the centre of Llangollen does nice chips. ;)

If you come along the A5 from Corwen and turn left at the crossroads in the centre of town it's the one opposite the tourist information place. Cafe on the corner, takeaway next door if I remember rightly.

Just don't try and sit on a bench near the top of the Horseshoe to try and eat them as you'll be surrounded by a herd of greedy sheep!

You're much better off going to the Ponderosa at the top and eating there. You may be lucky enough to catch a sight of the proprietress, Ros Lumsden who is a former runner up in Miss Wales, and still one of the most delectable sights in the UK. :tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:
You're much better off going to the Ponderosa at the top and eating there. You may be lucky enough to catch a sight of the proprietress, Ros Lumsden who is a former runner up in Miss Wales, and still one of the most delectable sights in the UK. ;)

They found 2 pretty enough girls to enter?:tongue:

stephec

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
You're much better off going to the Ponderosa at the top and eating there. You may be lucky enough to catch a sight of the proprietress, Ros Lumsden who is a former runner up in Miss Wales, and still one of the most delectable sights in the UK. ;)

She, (I mean The Ponderosa) is definately on my to do list next time I'm passing then. :tongue:

rich p said:
They found 2 pretty enough girls to enter?:evil:

the other entrant was a sheep...........she won;)

The restaurant reviews in yer average provincial magazine or newspaper ("my other half and I dined handsomely at the Farrier's Scrotum") are a joy to behold. If Mike Leigh hadn't been busy writing Abigail's Party he'd have no doubt turned his attention to rural pub restaurants, where 'mine host' serves a mean prawn cocktail.

National press food and restaurant reviews are just London-centric w*nk, especially if that thundering pillock AA Gill is involved.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Chuffy said:
The restaurant reviews in yer average provincial magazine or newspaper ("my other half and I dined handsomely at the Farrier's Scrotum") are a joy to behold. If Mike Leigh hadn't been busy writing Abigail's Party he'd have no doubt turned his attention to rural pub restaurants, where 'mine host' serves a mean prawn cocktail.

National press food and restaurant reviews are just London-centric w*nk, especially if that thundering pillock AA Gill is involved.

I didn't realise that you also read the Daily Post. "The prawn cocktail was just as I like it in a traditional champagne glass and mine host tempted me to try a new wine called Black Tower which is a bit too dry for refined fish dishes, so we ordered a bottle of the Folle Blanche............."

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Chuffy said:

He was way ahead of you... have you not seen Life is Sweet? The 'Regret Rien' is the epitome of crap pretentious provincial eatery. Genius. And painful to watch.

Abitrary

Flying_Monkey said:
He was way ahead of you... have you not seen Life is Sweet? The 'Regret Rien' is the epitome of crap pretentious provincial eatery. Genius. And painful to watch.

Life is sweet is one the best films ever.

My favourite moment is when timothy spall kisses the chip shop girl.

Top Bottom