Are footballers worth their money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You have to remember that there very few footballers getting paid vast sums of money say over £50 grand a week They are probably 0.1% of proffesional footballers.

They are the best at what they do and there fore command the biggest salaries. It is the same for any Job, Yes what ever you do in life job wise, people will be paid different amounts depending on market demands.

You dont hear anyone moan that say Tom Cruise was paid £10m for a film or a Paul McCartney sitting on £500million + fortune?, one because he act ( up for question?) and the other wrote a few songs that happened to be popular. Is there any difference?
No. As earlier, no-one receives 'what they're worth'; only what someone else is willing to pay.

MarkF

Guru
I reckon more Bradford City players earn £100's than £1k's, and we have Championship level crowds.

Messi is worth whatever, as are other entertaining stars that do things "normal" players can't and thrill spectators and make them dream. Anyway.......surely, pro-rata, Messi should earn 10x Rooney's wage?

The problem is normal players (or rather, their agents), demanding and getting ridiculous wages for water carriers, whoever went to a football game to watch a full back? What sort of oddball kid has a full back's name on his replica shirt? Man U's full back's are worth £5k a week and easily replaceable for that money.

I saw Arsenal play Bradford City a few weeks ago and Arsenal's players were "worth" 2 Smartie tops and a balloon, max.

LinchPin

Veteran
Footballer are just entertainers and the entertainment industry always creates stars who seem to be paid disproportionately to their efforts. Then again as Mr/Ms Entertainer Boss if I pay you 100K and you bring me a return of 500K that's good business and that's all football is these days.

Of course in football there are those that are obviously 'poor' players yet are still paid a fortune for playing poorly but they're being carried by the team or perhaps people buy their shirts.

If they banned televising football or demanded it was free to view the market would bust but would the footballing quality suffer?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
unlike actors, pop stars, bankers and the like... at least a pro footballer has to be good at what they do. They get their foot in the door due to their talent with a ball rather than through nepotism.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If they banned televising football or demanded it was free to view the market would bust but would the footballing quality suffer?
Back to 4-4-2, whack it up the middle and 'ope the big lad can get 'is nut to it, jumpers for goal posts, oh yes....

LinchPin

Veteran
unlike actors, pop stars, bankers and the like... at least a pro footballer has to be good at what they do. They get their foot in the door due to their talent with a ball rather than through nepotism.

Slightly tangental but do you remember the case Ali Dia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia the footballer who Graeme Souness when at Southampton was conned into giving him a one month contract.

I'm not trying to undermine your point but I think nepotism and "who you know" cuts across all life.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As already stated it's a simple return on investment issue. If the total outgoings of salaries etc to the players results in a profit then yes they are worth it.

Football is an easy target though. The same question can easily be asked of the top participants in other sports - look at the money earned in golf, motor racing, baseball etc.

Widen it further and ask the same of pop artists, film stars and writers of books about bespectacled youths riding a broomstick. The list is endless.

Not just footballers:

http://www.therichest.org/sports/forbes-highest-paid-athletes/

Movie stars:

http://ibnlive.in.com/photogallery/4535-16.html

And then we have tv presenters and game show hosts earning £1m +++ pa and newsreaders earning £500k pa and it goes on and on

Where does the "it's not morally acceptable" line lie?

Just a thought: if you are distressed, perturbed, jealous of footballers wages and you subscribe to Sky then you are partially responsible for what you are distressed, perturbed, jealous of. Will you ditch your Sky account though?

Top Bottom