Are gel seat covers any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm gonna try to persevere with the hard saddle. I think it's just going to take a bit of getting used to, the ride position is quite different with this bike, and I think I just need to perfect the right position to get comfortable.

It can take a while to get used to it, yes, but don't be afraid to play with the saddle position. Get yourself a tape measure (I use a cloth one but that's just preference), take note of the saddle's current position and then make adjustments. It's trial and error, may take a while but worth it in the end (ho ho).

sidevalve

Über Member
All the above is true but not all saddles fit all bums, wide or narrow [the saddles that is]. I have two sadles from one maker with less than 2cm difference in width, one is my most comfortable saddle ever [not counting my Brooks] and the other is sat on a shelf because it is just hell to ride on. Your new saddle may just not be the one for you.

persevere with the new one, its probably like new/old shoes, the new ones never fit perfectly first time around (in my case anyway) but after a week or two, the old ones feel odd.

best of luck with all of those hills too

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

Well I did my 7.2 miles to work and back today, and it wasn't as bad as I expected :smile:
I am learning to lean my weight slightly sideways instead of forwards when I stop.
I am really liking the new bike. The hardtail is taking a bit of getting used to, but its worth it because I can definitely go faster :bicycle:

Are the gel seat covers any good, does anyone know?

From my brief experience of them, I'd say it depends on how far you are intending to ride. Having just returned to cycling recently I found that I suffered from numb bum syndrome, so I bought one and have found it is reasonably comfortable up 'til about the 10 mile mark, after which it does start to chafe.

daSmirnov

My other half uses em, usually gets em from Lidl when they're cheap, only last a few hundred miles or so until they go out of shape, but then they're usually cheap at Lidl again.

She's done 40-60 miles rides without too much complaining.

I've been trying to get her off of them and into her padded shorts more though.:thumbsup:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi sheffgirl:hello:
I tried gel padding once and it was not a good experience.
Padded shorts or bib shorts are definitely the best option.
I hope you get get to grips with the saddle.
All the best

Gel covers aren't usually up to much. No matter how tight you fasten them they invariably move. If you're struggling with the saddle you have then check your seat height, fore/aft position and tilt to make sure it's not making you move about too much when riding.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Try to adjust the saddle position like this: Drop a plumb line (string with a weight on the end) from the top tube to the bottom bracket (the bit the cranks go through). The nose of the saddle should be 2-2 1/2" behind that line. This the position most find gives the best efficiency.

If your LBS hasn't adjusted the height for you your leg needs to be fully extended at the bottom of crank stroke.

boydj

Legendary Member
Try to adjust the saddle position like this: Drop a plumb line (string with a weight on the end) from the top tube to the bottom bracket (the bit the cranks go through). The nose of the saddle should be 2-2 1/2" behind that line. This the position most find gives the best efficiency.

If your LBS hasn't adjusted the height for you your leg needs to be fully extended at the bottom of crank stroke with your heel on the pedal.

FTFY

Top Bottom