Are gel seat covers any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheffgirl

I just bought a new bike (its a Decathlon Rockrider 5.2). I was hoping to replace the seat with the (very comfy) fatter one I have on my old bike, but I don't think the fitting/seat posts are the same, so I'm not sure if or how I can put it on.
I just don't seem to get along with the narrow seats that come as standard on these bikes, I find them uncomfortable :sad:
I did notice you can buy gel seat covers when I got the bike but I didn't get one, I now wish I had :sad:
Are the gel seat covers any good, does anyone know?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really, they will start to chafe. Much better to get padded shorts :smile:

Otherwise, the rails on saddles and the gaps they fit into are pretty standard so not sure why you can't change easily?

yello

Are the gel seat covers any good, does anyone know?

Not in my experience, no. I found that no matter how tightly you fixed it to the saddle, that it still moved around. I couldn't get used to it, a quite strange feeling and made me feel unstable.

HovR

Über Member
Another no here! Your old saddle should be compatible with your new seatpost.

I'm guessing your old seat-post used a system like this: http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/BicycleSource/Joe The Boss/clamp-1.jpg?t=1351203099

Whereas your new one uses a system like this: http://www.chelseabikes.co.uk/images/uploads/catImages/1522012123034_1.jpg

Simply take the clamp off your old saddle's rails by undoing the pictured bolt further, and then you should be able to attach the saddle to the modern micro-adjust seatpost on your Rockrider 5.2.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It gets better too as your fitness improves and you're able to spend more time pushing the pedals so putting less weight on the saddle.

I quite liked my gel saddle although I since persisted and just got used to my less squishy saddle, but the gel saddle cover I tried was awful.

mattobrien

Guru
Another thumbs up for a hard saddle. I currently have a Specialized Romin Evo on my bike, which is on the firmer side of things.

My understanding is that you want your seat bones to take your weight on the saddle, which a hard saddle allows you to do. It may take a few miles forum and saddle to become acquainted with each other, but it is worth persisting for a few hundred miles.

Again, good shorts help with comfort and very good shorts make a difference.

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

I'm gonna try to persevere with the hard saddle. I think it's just going to take a bit of getting used to, the ride position is quite different with this bike, and I think I just need to perfect the right position to get comfortable.
I spend quite a bit of time stood up pushing up hills, unfortunately there are a lot of hills round here :heat:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My cycling tights have padding, and I was wearing jeans today, so hopefully the padding will help. I will find out tomorrow, because I'm commuting on the new bike for the first time :ohmy:

I see you have padded tights but 'jeans' and 'cycling' do not go together well.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I just bought a new bike (its a Decathlon Rockrider 5.2). I was hoping to replace the seat with the (very comfy) fatter one I have on my old bike, but I don't think the fitting/seat posts are the same, so I'm not sure if or how I can put it on.
Tried some W40 or similar on the seat fittings of the new bike, before replacing saddles?

Top Bottom