Are some rides just doomed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Maybe it's just me but it seems that when one thing goes wrong they all go wrong on a 'doomed ride'.
Ususally this happens to me when facing the headwind from hell coming in off the channel. Today I ventured out to my 'beloved' bognor regis...a doomed town if ever there was one...I had one puncture...fixed with new tube, then the rear one went with a slow puncture....crap..no spare tube..and I didnt fancy patching it up in the wind...so I abort the ride and head home standing up to ride...had to pump the dam thing up 5 times on the way...so I took off my gloves and put them into my rear night vision jacket pocket....eventually the rear tyre was totally flat so i decided to walk...in my new over shoes worn for first time today...which promptly get ripped on some glass...so i take them off and put them in my rear jacket pocket...close the zip and ping...busted zip...so i get back and go to fix the puncture...broken spoke.

This is a typical doomed ride. I get them about once in every ten rides. so I am going to ask you to cover your ears while I

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:banghead::cursing::pump::banghead:

Remember the 5 P's

Mr Phoebus

I always carry a new tube, pump and patches now. I used to carry just the patches and pump.
One day, the valve sheared off eight miles from home.:ohmy:
A very slow eight mile walk home in road shoes.
Blowtorched calves.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My participation in most group rides I sign up to is doomed from the moment I sign up.

Too many variables.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I used to have car journeys like that.
Low oil light comes on, engine over heats, brakes squeel, flat tyre, low fuel, lights stop working, exhaust leaks...

I could never go anywhere without worrying about arriving or getting home again. I carried a full tool box and spares all the time and I joined both the AA and the RAC to spread the numbers of callouts between them.

Since I bought a new car the problem has been solved.^_^

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Maybe it's just me but it seems that when one thing goes wrong they all go wrong on a 'doomed ride'.
Ususally this happens to me when facing the headwind from hell coming in off the channel. Today I ventured out to my 'beloved' bognor regis...a doomed town if ever there was one...I had one puncture...fixed with new tube, then the rear one went with a slow puncture....crap..no spare tube..and I didnt fancy patching it up in the wind...so I abort the ride and head home standing up to ride...had to pump the dam thing up 5 times on the way...so I took off my gloves and put them into my rear night vision jacket pocket....eventually the rear tyre was totally flat so i decided to walk...in my new over shoes worn for first time today...which promptly get ripped on some glass...so i take them off and put them in my rear jacket pocket...close the zip and ping...busted zip...so i get back and go to fix the puncture...broken spoke.

This is a typical doomed ride. I get them about once in every ten rides. so I am going to ask you to cover your ears while I

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:banghead::cursing::pump::banghead:
ha! Remind me now, which commandment was it that you broke?
moses.jpg

ah, that'd be

'thou shalt not fit mudguards'

Attachments

• moses.jpg
    moses.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 9

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Does your B have guards btw? :ohmy:
yes, which is why I took the precaution of fitting Scwalbe Marathon tyres!

I find the "doomed" rides are the ones where Mrs Salad comes along. She's a lovely girl, but she's like a disaster magnet where any form of mechanical cycling malady is concerned. Or perhaps an inept gear selection leading to a gradual loss of momentum on a steep slope, leading to a gentle but artistic fall into the mud..........

Top Bottom