Are there any comprehensive guides to how long various components should last...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm afraid with most mechanical components there are a few factors:

quality of manufacture - the better the quality, the more wear you should expect
maintenance - if looked after, should give longer service
use - if not used in bad weather then will last longer (road components normally last longer than mountain bike components as they're not dragged through mud etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Major factor is maintaining said parts. Doesn't matter how good. My mate fubared his XT front mech over a few months - uses it to commute, so mainly in the big ring - the thing seized up very quickly without maintenance.

How long is a piece of string :rolleyes: you can only base it on your experience and that won't be applicable to anyone else, there's too many variables: cleaning/maintenance, riding conditions, riding styles, rider properties, build quality etc. For example my Ultegra pads have been used in all weathers but they are just about at the marker on the rear after 9500miles, the fronts are still good but I've heard of other folk getting through a set on one or two wet rides.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Sometimes better quality equals lighter weight but less longevity - Veloflex tyres for example are very lightweight but 400 miles on rough roads will soon see a pair off.

On the other hand Dura Ace pedals are lighter and harder wearing than the cheaper models.

So there is no hard and fast rule.

G-Zero

Über Member
Surely that means the better the quality, the better the wear. In other words the better the quality the longer they will last.

Cheers.... Probably just my interpretation, it's been a long week :whistle:

I'd still expect less wear from a higher quality product though.

Oxo

Guru
Sometimes better quality equals lighter weight but less longevity - Veloflex tyres for example are very lightweight but 400 miles on rough roads will soon see a pair off.

Better quality in this case may well equate to better performance under optimum conditions i.e. smooth roads. It is usual in such instances for there to be a trade off in performance, such as extra speed at the expense of durability.

byegad

Legendary Member
Cheap cassettes can last seemingly forever with a little oil and TLC. Expensive, as in top of the range, cassettes wear out in much less time. However they weigh less than half as much as the cheap ones.

I tend to buy middle of the range components, which are somewhat lighter than the cheapest yet last nearly as long.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
for me they should last forever, for the makers long enough that peolpe are happy but not too long so you have to buy another, for some sales men they should last untill there unwrapped :biggrin:

Top Bottom