Are these wheels fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Those wheels are nearly a decade old.

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
There is more. "This is a typical result of a study using the finite element method, followed, of course, by an unforgiving validation cycle in the laboratory and on the road."

Sorry @Tenacious Sloth, but nothing about roundness so far yet other than the odd "torroidal" this and "torroidalness" of that. I'm still researching. I have discovered that the hubs have "spherical surfaces of variable thickness", but that still doesn't imply that they roll.

Nobody has confirmed whether these wheels are fast or not. Chick magnet's they ain't, apparently, but then SHE has not yet seen the gold "vacuum-blasted hypo-aspheric" coating.

I'm reading up on wheels and I want to know if this means they are fast or just cool.

The super-new XXXX wheels incorporate all the innovations of recent years, consolidated in a product without paragon in terms of performance, strength, life and reliability.
The light alloy rims come from selected extrusions and are CNC-machined to optomize the mechanical specifications, they are welded rims with a ground braking surface and the spaces between the spokes are lightened by toroidal grinding.
The rim is dynamically balanced; in other words the imbalance of the mass as a result of the non-equivalence of weight between joint and valve is compensated by the extension of the toroidal grinding.
The top bridge of the rim is not drilled in the traditional way to fit the nipples, so that the use of rim-tape is pointless and the system is lightened further as a result.

I am worried that they will not complement my riding style. I ride aggressively and don't have time to dodge potholes. I need wheels that roll fast, are super-responsive and attract the opposite sex. Will these do the job?

Sounds like marketing trash language to me. Google reviews of the wheel and see what they say. That can be an indicator of quality or whether its a scam. You provided no link to the wheels being sold. What wheels are they?

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
Sounds like marketing trash language to me.

You think?

winjim

Smash the cistern
What you're seeing is actually a very clever application of the second law of thermodynamics. As you well know, for a process to be energetically favourable the entropy of a system must increase. All that gibberish carries so much entropy that the wheels themselves are really very thermodynamically favourable and carry a lot of useable energy. Of course since entropy can never decrease, the consequence of this is that marketing gibberish must forever become more and more nonsensical in order for the manufacturers to carry on making faster and faster wheelsets.

OP
OP
Yellow Saddle
There is more:

"Test runs at our laboratories have shown that the combination of 26mm in front and 30mm for the rear, is the solution that currently provides the best results in terms of performance and reliability. This solution gives a light and very steerable front wheel and stiff rear wheel that bla bla bla"

The combination in question is rim profile - 26mm front and 30mm back. It works like the magic ratio. Anything outside this ratio, including perfectly symmetrical profile profiles, is just not good enough.

There is also talk of aggressive aesthetics but I think that bit is marketing trash.

Tim Hall

Let's look at this another way. If the marketing people writing this absolute nonsensehighly scientific technospeak weren't writing about bike wheels, they'd be writing it about guns or drugs or hair gel. Or all of these things. @Yellow Saddle, you need to buy those wheels and now. Won't someone think of the children?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let's look at this another way. If the marketing people writing this absolute nonsensehighly scientific technospeak weren't writing about bike wheels, they'd be writing it about guns or drugs or hair gel. Or all of these things. @Yellow Saddle, you need to buy those wheels and now. Won't someone think of the children?
Or even discussing the essential benefits of low oxygen content loudspeaker cables which cost £200/metre!

Top Bottom